HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Making a .35 Whelen from a '98 Mauser
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Vapodog
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JOE PA
That is some seriously nice work right there! A very nice custom. Very impressed with the checkering and the inlaid forend piece. Did you also do the action mods? I did a blind magazine .308 on a small ring '98 about 20 years ago. Light, not bad gun, but nothing like yours. Congrats on the most excellent work. Hope it shoots like you want it to. (I'd guess it does, based on all the other work I see here.)
I did most all the work except the checkering which was done in Morristown, Minnesota by Carol at Ahlmans

The safety is Dakota three position swing (like a M-70), trigger is Timney and I did the drill and tap and Dakota bolt handle conversion in my shop!

Bluing and barrel engraving done in New Mexico by John Farner.

It's my first attempt at the forend tip (cocobolo) and also a blind magazine Mauser. It sure reduces weight!

The action is a 1941 K. Kales Turk Mauser which uses a small thread barrel tenon but is fine with the .30-06 size cases. I wouldn't build a magnum on this action!

I have several other projects in the works and will post some of them as I get them done!