Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wood or Synthetic? >

Wood or Synthetic?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood or Synthetic?

Old 06-19-2003, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Wood or Synthetic?

The stock on my synthetic Model 700 just feels right... and it' s satisfying to know that I can take that rifle into the mountains for a week, drop it in a creek, leave it in the cold, and then wipe the snow off of it in time to take a shot at an elk. Now, when it comes down to a time when I have a little more money, maybe I' ll put some of it into a gun I can just look at. In the meantime, I have to agree with - ' it' s a tool.'
Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-19-2003, 08:51 PM

DG thats a pretty Rifle you have but I couldn' t take that in the woods, I dont even think I could shoot it.

These are my Favorite style, this one here in the pic will be getting a McMillin A-5 stock on it soon. This stock that comes on the Remington' s is a HS Precision stock, you can sell it used in good shape for about $150.00-$200.00.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good synthetic stock such as a mcmillan is the most stable stock built and therefore will hold point of impact best.Since I have my guns to hunt with and not to look at , I choose synthetic stocks.If you want to put them on display to look at ,wood is a good choice.The best looking stock in the world will not make a gun shoot any better but a proper bedded stable stock will.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-19-2003, 10:54 PM

There is nothing more enjoyable than looking at a high figured piece of lumber wrapped around a fine shotgun or rifle.
Whoa, there, big boy. I have to take exception to that - to me, beating around the woods for a week and making that ultimate shot count is a little more enjoyable, and that' s where synthetic beats the pants off other stocks - stronger than wood, lighter than laminate. Best hunting tool known to man.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:31 AM

I like wood, laminate and synthetic. I let the conditions dictate wich to use.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:21 AM

I prefer synthetic stocks. McMillan to be exact. With a good paint job on them, they' re hard to beat. Plus, they play in any type of weather all day long, and then some.

My latest:

Old 06-20-2003, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

While laminates are much more stable than normal wood stocks the fact that they are made mostly of wood that will absorb moisture prevents them from being as stable as synthetics.Spend a week or ten days hunting in the mountains with rain falling often and you will really appreciate a good synthetic stock when you need to make a precise shot at longer range.

Quick Reply: Wood or Synthetic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.