Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Double barrel rifles >

Double barrel rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Double barrel rifles

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Double barrel rifles

Gunsmith and I were discussing one of my upcoming projects the other day, and the subject of double barrel shotguns came up. We talked about the old Smiths, Sterlingworths, Parkers, etc. He then told me he had either heard or read about some guys taking a good soilid old double, and having the shotgun barrels relined with rimmed centerfire tubes, Things like 45/70, 30/40 Krag, 30/30, etc. Kinda thought that was a different approach. I'm not sure how you adjust POI, and I'd like to know more about it.
.........Anyone out there had any experience or heard of doing this before?? I would assume a light-framed 20 ga. double would be what you would want for a platform..?? This has got me interested...

Last edited by Pawildman; 03-10-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned

I believe Rizzini was trying to pull something of like that on Merkel frames and sell them as $8,000 guns.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Check out the entire thread under "the 12ga from hell" in reloading. They have dabbled in that for a couple of years and have at my last reading tinkered down to the 28ga as fpr all intents heavy rifles using brass cases with crimped bullits. They refferance a S/S proofed@100,000psi.

I am musing with the prospect of a 460 S&W with an external 410 choke. I'm always wanting to have the cake and eat it too

There is a book out there that covers converting doubles to rifles and all the details like which frames machining regulating etc. That name however escapes me. I've seen it offered in Rifle and Handloader magazines in the past.