Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Maybe a legal question ? >

Maybe a legal question ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Maybe a legal question ?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Maybe a legal question ?

My wife has made me make a disposition list partularly my guns. The long guns are easy as they were purchased with each of the 4 kids in for hunting shooting etc. There is a rifle pistol and shotgun for each. The issue arises not with my guns or their favorites but with my Grandfathers now quite valuable S&W which is ofcourse the odd "extra"pistol. How do you decide? The kids were 6-10 when he passed away and spent equal time with him there were never favorites and they all seem to have a great affinity for history and heritage. Should I perhaps direct it to be a everybody gets it for a year romer?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Buy three others that are exactly like it. The child who has the first birthday, after your passing (which I hope is a very, very long time from now) receives the original model, the rest will have the copies.

Or

You could ask your children. You never know. When my Uncle passed away, my brother and I were left a Model 70 and an Auto 5 (20 ga, I might add). I was actually given the A5 and he the Model 70. Now, I knew my brother adored my Uncle's A5's, absolute huge fan. When we received them, we spoke later, and he went on and on about how great of a gun that A5 was and how much I would enjoy hunting with it. After talking for awhile, I said "You want that A5, don't you?" (knowing damn well he was drooling all over himself) He kinda, grinned and said under his breath ...."maybe we could flip a coin".....

I said "No way"............."just take it"...

My favorite picture on the wall is him kneeling with that gun behind a pile of pheasant and quail with the rest of Idaho in the background.

It's what brothers do.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tuffy but there's got to be one child that's a little more into guns than the other. You still have plenty of life left to figure it out.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Buy three others that are exactly like it. The child who has the first birthday, after your passing (which I hope is a very, very long time from now) receives the original model, the rest will have the copies.

Or

You could ask your children. You never know. When my Uncle passed away, my brother and I were left a Model 70 and an Auto 5 (20 ga, I might add). I was actually given the A5 and he the Model 70. Now, I knew my brother adored my Uncle's A5's, absolute huge fan. When we received them, we spoke later, and he went on and on about how great of a gun that A5 was and how much I would enjoy hunting with it. After talking for awhile, I said "You want that A5, don't you?" (knowing damn well he was drooling all over himself) He kinda, grinned and said under his breath ...."maybe we could flip a coin".....

I said "No way"............."just take it"...

My favorite picture on the wall is him kneeling with that gun behind a pile of pheasant and quail with the rest of Idaho in the background.

It's what brothers do.
Great post.

Tom
Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Few friends over for the night. Concensus says, oldest. Personally I like VA's suggestion.

Tom
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

All good suggestions. Thank you.

I think finding duplicates would be cost prohibitive for me ,but who knows. I like the birthday idea best I think.

We've been together 4 years she really makes me think sometimes . She made me revisit the fact that 4 days a week I'm in and out of bunkers of old HE and if TSHF all the recovered bits would fit in a mason jar.

Thank you again gentlemen and ladies.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

All good suggestions. Thank you.

I think finding duplicates would be cost prohibitive for me ,but who knows. I like the birthday idea best I think.

We've been together 4 years she really makes me think sometimes . She made me revisit the fact that 4 days a week I'm in and out of bunkers of old HE and if TSHF all the recovered bits would fit in a mason jar.

Thank you again gentlemen and ladies.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Well this is kind of a morbid subject but I'll give what insight I can. When my grandfather passed on, I was the only grandchild with the interest of the outdoors and consequently got the items relating to such activities. My advice would be to sit down and talk to your kids about the situation. I'm still not understanding why you're going for this so early. Are you in poor health? I sincerely hope not. The other optional solution is just to let them sort it out long after you are passed. Then feeling may be hurt but you will not be the one to blame.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Will the "odd" one to the child who's the executor of your estate, .... or the one that doesn't relegate you to an assisted care facility!