Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope rings/bases opinions...... >

Scope rings/bases opinions......

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope rings/bases opinions......

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by statjunk
I really like Warne's products. I believe the true test of setup is a QR. I've never had a zero change with my Warne QR rings. Also they are just solid. Very affordable too.

Tom
Solid but heavy.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
Solid but heavy.
Yup, I agree on the Warne rings. But were talking less than an ounce. Also slightly tougher to install. Even though they say not to lap them, I still clamp them around a 1" Stainless Steel bar with zero run out. Yup not a cheap bar of steel.

For the money, I don't think there are better rings out there. In addition the customer service is tops in the industry.

Tom
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

DNZ's look like they belong on a squirt gun. Talleys sit on all my toys.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Have you ever used them or did you base this opinion on pure speculation?

Warne are also excellent rings and bases.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is absolutely nothing wrong sticking with Leupold rings and bases. They work just fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM
bigcountry

I like the lightwieght one piece talley rings for my 204 and 223 setups. I don't trust them on heavy recoiling guns. I had trouble with a 300win mag. I also am not a fan of talley vertical halves. You cannot lap them easily.

I have used leupold std rings for years. Two piece look good but you have to true them with a wheeler or equivalent kit. They seem to be getting worse for being out of round as the years go on. After an hour of honing, you can get good fit.

Warne rings seem to hold anything solid. Its the only rings on my 460Smith that seem to hold the scope.

burris signature series pure junk, won't hold up to anything over a 300 win mag. They seem nice when you get them because they won't scratch your scope with the inserts. The varible MOA slope adjustement also on paper seems nice for long range. But they won't hold the scope.

Optilocks are good, just don't like the way the way they attach to my sakos. Never had issues with em. Just degrease and use locktight blue

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbulls
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Have you ever used them or did you base this opinion on pure speculation?

Warne are also excellent rings and bases.
Well, I guess you're a bad ash now. If it doesn't pass the smell test, it don't further. After using Talley, why would I buy something inferior? LW's and Vert 2 piece beats all.....but help yourself.

You want a pissing contest littlebull? Is this where you spout about your advanced gunsmith training?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
There is absolutely nothing wrong sticking with Leupold rings and bases. They work just fine.

If you like part of the base hanging off the back of the receiver...

My vote is for Talley. Those Nutz are half the width, meaning half the surface area.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

a squirt gun....haha.

I use to use the leupy's, then found the talley's, both the lock/screw on, on my .340wby, then got the lightweights on the .243win, both were very nice, kinda how I'd make'em if I made rings, which in gunsmithing is nice to see compare to loose/sloppy how most things are...

dnz might be nice, I really don't know, perhaps I'll check'em out on the next rifle, but I'm perfectly content with the talley's, so I really don't see a reason to change.

I've noticed quite a few custom's rifle makers use Talley's

I think unless I really had a big boomer those lightweights are the way I'd go!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I guess you're a bad ash now. If it doesn't pass the smell test, it don't further. After using Talley, why would I buy something inferior? LW's and Vert 2 piece beats all.....but help yourself.

You want a pissing contest littlebull? Is this where you spout about your advanced gunsmith training?
I don't feel the need to get into a pissing match with you about the rings because it's just I figured. Pure speculation on your part. You wouldn't know if they were inferior or not because you have never used them. I however have used both and can tell you that DNZ's beat the TLW's in all aspects. But if you're too stubborn to even try something better than that's your choice.

Why ya gotta act like a little 2 year old? Got your panties all bunched up or you just miss you buddy?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I don't feel the need to get into a pissing match with you about the rings because it's just I figured. Pure speculation on your part. You wouldn't know if they were inferior or not because you have never used them. I however have used both and can tell you that DNZ's beat the TLW's in all aspects. But if you're too stubborn to even try something better than that's your choice.

Why ya gotta act like a little 2 year old? Got your panties all bunched up or you just miss you buddy?
Then do tell all about your extensive knowledge and testing of DNZ. Why would I buy an inferior product just to verify that it's junk?? Guess I'll head out tomorrow and get a BSA scope to let you know it worthless too. Next time you want a steak, head to McCrappers instead. You'll never tell the difference.
VA hit it on the head. The rings have half of the surface area of Talley's. Plus 2 screws threaded in aluminum isn't good as 4. But keep on keepin on........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.