Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I must be sick..... :D >

I must be sick..... :D

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I must be sick..... :D

Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I must be sick..... :D

This morning I went to Cabela's and picked up a Mosin Nagant. M91/30, made 1943, matching serial numbers. There was a sale going on and all MNs were on sale for $99. Naturally, I felt obligated to get one (as I didn't have one already). So being the first one there I picked out the best one and brought 'er home. Since I couldn't get all my reloading supplies there, I had to pick up a box of Sellier & Bellot, 180gr SPs to test with. She was sopping in oil, and required a complete disassembly to put 'er in shooting condition. Once done, I couldn't wait for a real shooting session, so I took it down to an indoor shooting range. It was only 25 yards, but heck, I needed to check it, right?

I told myself..."man, what a POS beat-around gun this will be!" First several shots were standing, just to check function and came to ~1/2" then the real group was done kneeling. Totally surprised! I can't wait to see what this cheap gun will do at 100 and 200yds.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=Big Z;3570602]

I told myself..."man, what a POS beat-around gun this will be!" First several shots were standing, just to check function and came to ~1/2" then the real group was done kneeling. Totally surprised! I can't wait to see what this cheap gun will do at 100 and 200yds.

Just keep it clean and enjoy it. One of the most simple, effective guns around.
Keep decent ammo in it and keep the bore clean and it will last many lifetimes.
I have one much older, and with a "seasoned" bore,... but it will still shoot 1.5" at 100 yards with a young pair of eyes behind the irons. Me, I maybe get it to shoot 3.0" with irons at 100 yds, but at 56 yrs old and dimished vision that still seens fine/fun to me.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Evidently there is a slew of junk you can bolt on those things. Never considered one, but interesting to bang around with. Im still partial to the old Lee Enfield 303 MkIV
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Spike

i bought one at a gun show for 40 bucks and beat the hell out of it and it still shoots great killed alot of groundhogs and a coyote with it always wanted to hit a deer or hog with it but never had an opportunity just traded it even up to my best friend for a tc black diamond back in nov for my fiance but ill have another soon their cheap here in ohio
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, good for you!