Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning a bolt 30-06 >

Browning a bolt 30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning a bolt 30-06

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning A-Bolt 30.06. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned. I don't know if they are all that good or if I just got lucky and got the right rifle and ammo combination. It is the only rifle I own that I would never part with.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still set on the big 7 right now.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

why are going to a .30 caliber if you feel the 7mm is not needed?
Sounds like the 7mm is a magnum.

If you like the 7mm Mag, get it. I always wanted a 300 Weatherby Magnum. My 30-06 was fine for deer but I really wanted that Weatherby. So I got it. What have I shot with it so far? Just whitetails....and a lot of watermelons.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aint no deer gonna know the difference between a 7mmRM and a '06. If you can get the '06 for a good price then by all means go for it. The '06 will never let you down and the A bolt is a top notch rifle.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

I have an A-bolt Stainless Stalker in .30-06. The rifle will shoot 150 grain Accubonds into 2/3" groups. i have shot 10 deer in the last 5 years with this rifle.

7mm vs. .30-06? Buy whatever you like-for deer hunting there isn't any difference, unless you are the type to argue about an inch of drop, or 50lbs. of energy!!

Will
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought an A-bolt in 06 that was a consignment gun, beautiful condition, with the box and the shop claims it's unfired. First of all, are these supposidly free floated barrels? I'm asking because my first A-bolt, in .204 Ruger is perfect, whereas this one has a bit of a gap on the right side of the barrel channel and actually touches the inside of the fore end tip on the left. Other than that, the gun is mint condition. Winter here and very cold so Iv'e not had a chance to shoot it. It just seems a shame that a gun so beautifully made and finished should have this much barrel and stock mis-alignment or am I just being too picky? Should I just shoot it and if it has the normal expected Browning accuracy, accept the barrel/stock offset? How about some thoughts on this--I own several other rifles, Rugers, Remingtons, and the others are all well centered in the barrel channel--What to do, what to do----