Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka or Savage??? >

Tikka or Savage???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka or Savage???

Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tikka or Savage???

Im gonna but a smaller caliber ( .243, .25-06, or .308 ) rifle in the very near future. any thoughts on which brand ??? Theres not much difference in the price ..... Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage works for me, and works well. Though I'm sure Tikka shooters would say the same.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having owned both a Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 270 WSM and a Tikka T3 Lite in .25-06, the Tikka is a little better gun, especially if they are priced the same IMO. The Tikka has an accuracy guarantee, a better trigger, has scope rings included, and has a much better stock(synthetic anyway).

The Savage has a good trigger but I just could not get used to the accu-trigger. The synthetic stock that was on my Savage was probably the cheapest synthetic stock I have ever seen. However, it is my understanding that Savage has improved their synthetic stocks recently. You can find a lot more aftermarket parts for the Savage as well if that is a consideration.

So it all boils down to which feels better to you, as it is your hard earned money!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Spike

If you plan to keep the rifle stock - Tikka. If you like to tinker, replace the trigger, barrel, etc. - Savage.

I just bought a .270 Tikka T3 lite. It's well made, and more accurate than my Remington or Browning. The only drawback with the T3 Lite, is that it's very light weight, for larger claibers. Perfect in .243. Short barrel for a .25-06. In .308 good for hunting, light for the shooting range. If you plan to shoot over 20 rounds at a time, I would get the T3 Hunter (walnut stock), or the Savage.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

If the Savage has the accustock that is the way I would lean. I think they are two very good choices. A win/win either way most likely.

Lately the Savages seem to really shoot well for most owners and they weight in at around 6.5lbs which is pretty light like the Tikka.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 for the weather warrior

Here is what I have in .204

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16FCSS

Love it !!!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

I feel them both out and then make up your mind.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for all the responses. I must say that this is an excellant forum..... Responses are well stated and make sense. I should have stated that I was looking at both with Waknut stocks (I'm old school). Leaning towards the .25-06 or .308 right now. I would use it for deer and coyotes . I have to take a trip to Gander Mountain or Bass Pro I guess. Thanks again for reading and responding and please continue to respond as I can ALWAYS learn more!

Oh... I have always bought Leupold scopes but think I will try a Zeiss Conquest. Am I messing up?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roll the -06 with either chassis...none better
Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Spike

Thumbs down

I have a Tikka T-3 in 243 and it is the only gun I have that has never been to a gunsmith for any type of work. All my other guns, Browning BAR and A-Bolt, Savage MLII, Benelli M-1's and Thompson Encore have had at least trigger jobs. My Tikka has shot all ammo from cheap to premimun ammo sub MOA. The action is very smooth and fit and fininsh are good. The only bad part was a seam in the synthic stock and that was minor. My Savage ML with Accu-Trigger was another story. I hate the Accu-Trigger for hunting, great off the bench but for hunting it sucks. Fit and finish on the Savage was below average, I would grade a C-, the factory barrel was replaced by the factory once and I finally got an after market barrel and discarded the replaced factory barrel. Action on the Savage was sloppy.
If it were my call it would be Tikka all the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.