Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone compared the Federal Power Shok ammo in the red box to the blue box stuff? >

Anyone compared the Federal Power Shok ammo in the red box to the blue box stuff?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone compared the Federal Power Shok ammo in the red box to the blue box stuff?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone compared the Federal Power Shok ammo in the red box to the blue box stuff?

So I've been shooting the Federal Power Shok 30-06 ammo I've picked up at Wal Mart in a blue box. It's been not quite a year since I got it. It says 3006A in the upper right hand corner on the end of the box. Like that's the model number or whatever. My rifle is very picky accuracy wise but it likes these and the Federal Fusions. They also both have the same POI at 100 yards and are both 150 grain. They have been out of stock for months now. Anyway, I finally found some instock now but it's in a red box. I bought several boxes and when I got home I noticed it now says WM3006A instead of just the 3006A. Is the WM in front of it to indicate it's for Wal Mart? It's also a red box instead of blue like it used to be. I know the only way to know for sure is to try it myself but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else tried this stuff in the red box after having used the blue box stuff. Did it shoot the same poi? Did it shoot as tight of groups? Could you tell any difference?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the same ammo as you, 30-06 Power Shok with 150 gr. I have not purchased any lately but I will keep an eye out for the red cross-over box. That ammo works great for me.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep works great for me too and is the cheapest factory 30-06 ammo I've found of a decent brand. Shoots great. I haven't tried this new red box stuff though. Looks the same to me except for the red box and it saying WM3006A instead of just 3006A.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I thought they looked the same but I did notice you could see maybe 1/4" or so of lead on the blue box ones where as you couldn't see any from the side of the bullet on the red box ones. Hmm I wonder if this will shoot different. Also looked like at the crimp part where you see the ridges in the bullet looked like you could see slightly more ridges. I hope these things shoot as good as the old ones. I wonder if these small changes will matter or if they are just from being a different box of ammo or if they made changes. I will post pictures shortly although you can't see that much.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok so here are the pictures.

Here are the two different boxes.

Here is the end of the red box. You can see it clearly says WM3006A

Here is the end of the blue box. You can see it says 3006A and doesn't have the WM there.

Here are both with the bullets

Here are the bullets side by side. The one from the older blue box is on the left and the one from the red box on the right. You can kind of see how you can see a tiny bit of lead on the end of the one from the blue box.

Tip of the bullet from the blue box.

This one is from the blue box. You can see how you can see a little bit of lead from the side.

These two are from the side of the red box ones. You can see there is no lead showing from the side.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the same ammo. Checking Federal'e website it still shows the blue box and lists the ammo as 3006A. It does not list the other one. Maybe a call to Federal?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to email them but it said something about waiting until after January 4th to send an email as they were out of the office or something.