Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
question about remington 1100 >

question about remington 1100

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

question about remington 1100

Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default question about remington 1100

did remington make an 1100 that was for 3 inch shells only? I have an older 1100 that does not have the o-rings is there a way to shoot 2 3/4 through this gun?
softballaddict is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
  #2  
Giant Nontypical
 
bigtim6656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,867
Default

I could be wrong but My understanding is that your ok going down but not up. I asked the same question about my mossberg 500. I was told that when the shell goes off the extra opens up and all but cover the diff. Though I could or properly am wrong.
bigtim6656 is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
  #3  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default

mine wont eject a 2 3/4 shell at all an will only open the extractor about halfway when I do shoot a 2 3/4 shell through it. the newer 1100 has an o-ring but mine does not have it. it has a ring on the back side of the ejection tube on the forearm.
softballaddict is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,518
Default

I don't know about your deal with no o-rings as every 1100 I've seen has had them 3" ones included. You sure yours aren't just missing?

As for the 1100's for 3" shells yes. They made a Magnum version and it should be stamped with the word Magnum on the receiver. They will shoot 3" shells but won't eject the 2 3/4" shells unless you either open up the gas port or use a barrel from a 2 3/4" version that has the two gas ports instead of the one used on the magnums. If you open up the gas port or have a gun smith do it you can shoot 2 3/4" shells but then the gun will really take a beating when shooting 3" shells so this is not recommended. If your receiver and barrel and not both marked for 3" shells DO NOT shoot them. The receiver should say Magnum and the barrel should say 3" shells. If not don't shoot 3" shells in it.


As for the above post about you being able to shoot smaller length shells but not larger he is partially correct. In most cases this is correct and safety wise you are fine. Most guns now can shoot the shells that they are rated for and the smaller length ones too. However, some of the older guns like the 1100 Magnums don't accommodate for the different sizes. Some other older guns are like that too. So if you try to shoot a 2 3/4" shell in them they wont eject them. You can safely shoot them but it's essentially a single shot unless you change barrels or open up the gas port like I said above.

BTW as I said earlier the 2 3/4" barrels from the 1100's use 2 gas ports where as the 3" magnum versions only have a single gas port.
hometheaterman is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 AM
  #5  
Boone & Crockett
 
Phil from Maine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,359
Default

I shoot an 1100 magnum and I have the gas seals ( the rubber "o" ring ) gets eaten up quite commonly.. I am not sure why that is but it has done that from being new and all.. I do like mentioned above and change the barrel out to a smaller chambered one. The 3" chamber does eject the 2 3/4 inch shells at times though. It is not something I would want to count on though. Changing the barrel to the 2 3/4 inch shells will eject them every shot though. So as mentioned above, the best bet is to change the barrel out to the smaller chamber.. Good luck with it..
Phil from Maine is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 AM
  #6  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location:
Posts: 809
Default

Originally Posted by hometheaterman View Post
I don't know about your deal with no o-rings as every 1100 I've seen has had them 3" ones included. You sure yours aren't just missing?

As for the 1100's for 3" shells yes. They made a Magnum version and it should be stamped with the word Magnum on the receiver. They will shoot 3" shells but won't eject the 2 3/4" shells unless you either open up the gas port or use a barrel from a 2 3/4" version that has the two gas ports instead of the one used on the magnums. If you open up the gas port or have a gun smith do it you can shoot 2 3/4" shells but then the gun will really take a beating when shooting 3" shells so this is not recommended. If your receiver and barrel and not both marked for 3" shells DO NOT shoot them. The receiver should say Magnum and the barrel should say 3" shells. If not don't shoot 3" shells in it.


As for the above post about you being able to shoot smaller length shells but not larger he is partially correct. In most cases this is correct and safety wise you are fine. Most guns now can shoot the shells that they are rated for and the smaller length ones too. However, some of the older guns like the 1100 Magnums don't accommodate for the different sizes. Some other older guns are like that too. So if you try to shoot a 2 3/4" shell in them they wont eject them. You can safely shoot them but it's essentially a single shot unless you change barrels or open up the gas port like I said above.

BTW as I said earlier the 2 3/4" barrels from the 1100's use 2 gas ports where as the 3" magnum versions only have a single gas port.
+1 Well said

Note: (all 1100's should have an o-ring, yours have just
Deteriorated over time or has been loss)
RugerMike is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:48 AM
  #7  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,085
Default

Sound advice so far...

All 1100s and 11-87s have O rings..It's part of the basic design of the gas system.. Sounds like yours needs a replacement.. I've had to replace several over the years...

Magnum 1100s were designed to function with 3" shells and 2 3/4" magnum shells...Some may cycle heavy 2 3/4 " loads like rifled slugs or certain higher pressure 2 3/4" loads...

If you want to shoot lighter 2 3/4" ammo, I'd suggest picking up a used 2 3/4" barrel..There are lots of them sitting around gunshops and online gun auctions and you should be able to find one at a reasonable price..Oh, and get yourself a couple of O rings for it........
Pygmy is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oakland OR USA
Posts: 2,929
Default

Guess I must have got lucky with my Magnum 1100's the two I have both cycle fine with trap loads . They both have Magnum on the side that I'm sure of because I also have a couple 2 3/4 " 1100's .
halcon is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 PM
  #9  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,518
Default

Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
+1 Well said

Note: (all 1100's should have an o-ring, yours have just
Deteriorated over time or has been loss)
That's what I thought. I'd never heard of an 1100 without an o-ring. I wasn't 100% positive as I'd not heard of all of them I'm sure. I'm glad you verified it for us.
hometheaterman is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,518
Default

Originally Posted by halcon View Post
Guess I must have got lucky with my Magnum 1100's the two I have both cycle fine with trap loads . They both have Magnum on the side that I'm sure of because I also have a couple 2 3/4 " 1100's .
Maybe someone opened up the gas ports on them. Or maybe you did get lucky.
hometheaterman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.