HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   question about remington 1100 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/313098-question-about-remington-1100-a.html)

softballaddict 12-21-2009 04:23 PM

question about remington 1100

did remington make an 1100 that was for 3 inch shells only? I have an older 1100 that does not have the o-rings is there a way to shoot 2 3/4 through this gun?

bigtim6656 12-21-2009 04:45 PM

I could be wrong but My understanding is that your ok going down but not up. I asked the same question about my mossberg 500. I was told that when the shell goes off the extra opens up and all but cover the diff. Though I could or properly am wrong.

softballaddict 12-21-2009 04:59 PM

mine wont eject a 2 3/4 shell at all an will only open the extractor about halfway when I do shoot a 2 3/4 shell through it. the newer 1100 has an o-ring but mine does not have it. it has a ring on the back side of the ejection tube on the forearm.

hometheaterman 12-21-2009 10:26 PM

I don't know about your deal with no o-rings as every 1100 I've seen has had them 3" ones included. You sure yours aren't just missing?

As for the 1100's for 3" shells yes. They made a Magnum version and it should be stamped with the word Magnum on the receiver. They will shoot 3" shells but won't eject the 2 3/4" shells unless you either open up the gas port or use a barrel from a 2 3/4" version that has the two gas ports instead of the one used on the magnums. If you open up the gas port or have a gun smith do it you can shoot 2 3/4" shells but then the gun will really take a beating when shooting 3" shells so this is not recommended. If your receiver and barrel and not both marked for 3" shells DO NOT shoot them. The receiver should say Magnum and the barrel should say 3" shells. If not don't shoot 3" shells in it.

As for the above post about you being able to shoot smaller length shells but not larger he is partially correct. In most cases this is correct and safety wise you are fine. Most guns now can shoot the shells that they are rated for and the smaller length ones too. However, some of the older guns like the 1100 Magnums don't accommodate for the different sizes. Some other older guns are like that too. So if you try to shoot a 2 3/4" shell in them they wont eject them. You can safely shoot them but it's essentially a single shot unless you change barrels or open up the gas port like I said above.

BTW as I said earlier the 2 3/4" barrels from the 1100's use 2 gas ports where as the 3" magnum versions only have a single gas port.

Phil from Maine 12-22-2009 02:51 AM

I shoot an 1100 magnum and I have the gas seals ( the rubber "o" ring ) gets eaten up quite commonly.. I am not sure why that is but it has done that from being new and all.. I do like mentioned above and change the barrel out to a smaller chambered one. The 3" chamber does eject the 2 3/4 inch shells at times though. It is not something I would want to count on though. Changing the barrel to the 2 3/4 inch shells will eject them every shot though. So as mentioned above, the best bet is to change the barrel out to the smaller chamber.. Good luck with it..

RugerMike 12-22-2009 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by hometheaterman (Post 3536043)
I don't know about your deal with no o-rings as every 1100 I've seen has had them 3" ones included. You sure yours aren't just missing?

As for the 1100's for 3" shells yes. They made a Magnum version and it should be stamped with the word Magnum on the receiver. They will shoot 3" shells but won't eject the 2 3/4" shells unless you either open up the gas port or use a barrel from a 2 3/4" version that has the two gas ports instead of the one used on the magnums. If you open up the gas port or have a gun smith do it you can shoot 2 3/4" shells but then the gun will really take a beating when shooting 3" shells so this is not recommended. If your receiver and barrel and not both marked for 3" shells DO NOT shoot them. The receiver should say Magnum and the barrel should say 3" shells. If not don't shoot 3" shells in it.

As for the above post about you being able to shoot smaller length shells but not larger he is partially correct. In most cases this is correct and safety wise you are fine. Most guns now can shoot the shells that they are rated for and the smaller length ones too. However, some of the older guns like the 1100 Magnums don't accommodate for the different sizes. Some other older guns are like that too. So if you try to shoot a 2 3/4" shell in them they wont eject them. You can safely shoot them but it's essentially a single shot unless you change barrels or open up the gas port like I said above.

BTW as I said earlier the 2 3/4" barrels from the 1100's use 2 gas ports where as the 3" magnum versions only have a single gas port.

+1 Well said

Note: (all 1100's should have an o-ring, yours have just
Deteriorated over time or has been loss)

Pygmy 12-22-2009 05:48 AM

Sound advice so far...

All 1100s and 11-87s have O rings..It's part of the basic design of the gas system.. Sounds like yours needs a replacement.. I've had to replace several over the years...

Magnum 1100s were designed to function with 3" shells and 2 3/4" magnum shells...Some may cycle heavy 2 3/4 " loads like rifled slugs or certain higher pressure 2 3/4" loads...

If you want to shoot lighter 2 3/4" ammo, I'd suggest picking up a used 2 3/4" barrel..There are lots of them sitting around gunshops and online gun auctions and you should be able to find one at a reasonable price..Oh, and get yourself a couple of O rings for it....:biggrin:....

halcon 12-22-2009 02:56 PM

Guess I must have got lucky with my Magnum 1100's the two I have both cycle fine with trap loads . They both have Magnum on the side that I'm sure of because I also have a couple 2 3/4 " 1100's .

hometheaterman 12-22-2009 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RugerMike (Post 3536097)
+1 Well said

Note: (all 1100's should have an o-ring, yours have just
Deteriorated over time or has been loss)

That's what I thought. I'd never heard of an 1100 without an o-ring. I wasn't 100% positive as I'd not heard of all of them I'm sure. I'm glad you verified it for us.

hometheaterman 12-22-2009 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by halcon (Post 3536694)
Guess I must have got lucky with my Magnum 1100's the two I have both cycle fine with trap loads . They both have Magnum on the side that I'm sure of because I also have a couple 2 3/4 " 1100's .

Maybe someone opened up the gas ports on them. Or maybe you did get lucky.