Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Completely new to hunting and gun ownership >

Completely new to hunting and gun ownership

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Completely new to hunting and gun ownership

Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Completely new to hunting and gun ownership

My dad grew up on a farm but my mom never let us even go near guns growing up. I'm 21 and I love skeet shooting, and I want to get into hunting, probably deer, pheasants, turkey, etc.

For my first gun, what would be the most versatile gun, since I'll just own one? I was thinking a shotgun - Remington 870 Super Mag?

I just wanted any advice anybody could give me as to the best way to just get out there and start. What do I need before I start?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Spike

Why just one, only joking 870 is agood gun
Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by putt46
Why just one, only joking 870 is agood gun
Everybody I talk to recommends it compared to the Mossberg. I'm fine with that, probably gonna buy a new one.

Which 870 would be the best for this different stuff?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Spike

Yea I use the 835 cause it cheap at the time and I beat it up pretyy good.
The 870 super mag sounds good for what you want to do.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've entered only 2 shooting match events in my life with shotgun. One was sporting clays, the other skeet. I got 1st place with one and 2nd with the other using a Winchester 1200. I love it so much, I'd love to get another. I say this not to impress, but to impress upon you that no matter which gun you use, if you shoot it alot, you'll get comfortable with it. Next shotgun I'm getting is a Remington 870 because I've heard nothing but good about it. I suspect if you get one, you'll be shooting awesome with it in no time!

I highly suggest since it's your first, that no matter what happens in the future, always keep it and never sell or trade it. Not many people have their first guns and it's sentimental. Nice to hold a gun many years down the road looking back many years back down the road and reflect the times you had with it.

iSnipe
Old 12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

I'll go with 870 on the next one too. The 835's action is a little sticky. yea its clean
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Spike

The first gun I purchased was a model 870. I still have it 35 years later. It will serve you well. Like these guys said, regular practice will help you. Go with someone that has experience with firearms to give you some shooting and safety pointers. Hunting and shooting are great activities. Enjoy yourself.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bullelk1
The first gun I purchased was a model 870. I still have it 35 years later. It will serve you well. Like these guys said, regular practice will help you. Go with someone that has experience with firearms to give you some shooting and safety pointers. Hunting and shooting are great activities. Enjoy yourself.

I got you beat ole man, I've had mine for 41 years. I have an 870 with a 26" improved cylinder and another thats a 30" full choke.
The 870 improved is an excellent slug gun even with a smooth bore barrel. I can put slugs in a pie plate every time at 100 yrds, with open sights.

Bobby
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Spike

Maybe I wasn't clear

I want to get into hunting, and I want a gun that will be very versatile

Which gun is recommended? Which barrel length?

Anything else I should know?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I would go to the gun store and check'em out. Just get the feel of'em and one will stand out and fit just right. The best versatile gun for a beginner, I think, is an over and under single shot. You can have a 22cal. on top and a shotgun on the bottom. But whatever you choose, make sure you go to a range and practice, it's very important...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.