Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Completely new to hunting and gun ownership >

Completely new to hunting and gun ownership

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Completely new to hunting and gun ownership

Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Spike

sounds like you like the 870 you could go with the combo. comes with 2 barrles 26" smooth bore and 22" (i think) slug barrle. super mag combo
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Spike

i didnt shoot a gun till i was 18 so i know how u feel on my 18 birthday day i went out a bougth me a single sot 12 gauge went to the libary started going hunting every weekend and got on the intenrt net my adivce is go buy a used gun cuz there is a 98% u will find something u like better to spend 400 on a new gun not my cup tea and put the word out that u want to go hunting with everyone u know mostly get out in the woods and fields and clubs good luck
Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Practice. Alot.

and Scout. Alot. You'll learn more about game and the woods by being out there, following trails, looking for signs they leave behind. Perhaps invest in some decent binoculars so you can observe. For me, that's almost as much fun as actually hunting.

I don't have much experience with shotguns as opposed to rifles. We have good dove hunting here but it never really appealed as much to me.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by putt46
sounds like you like the 870 you could go with the combo. comes with 2 barrles 26" smooth bore and 22" (i think) slug barrle. super mag combo
Yeah, I was looking around, and it seems that might be the way to go. Very versatile.

Are there any problems with getting synthetic?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Horacio
Practice. Alot.

and Scout. Alot. You'll learn more about game and the woods by being out there, following trails, looking for signs they leave behind. Perhaps invest in some decent binoculars so you can observe. For me, that's almost as much fun as actually hunting.

I don't have much experience with shotguns as opposed to rifles. We have good dove hunting here but it never really appealed as much to me.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Any recommendations on a cheaper but still quality set of binoculars?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

Sounds like you need a few good gun safety courses before you go on this voyage.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HellsAngel
Sounds like you need a few good gun safety courses before you go on this voyage.
Yeah, I just got done with school... that's first on the list
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

[quote=eric_b;3532750]Maybe I wasn't clear

I want to get into hunting, and I want a gun that will be very versatile

Which gun is recommended? Which barrel length?

Anything else I should know?[/quote]

An 870 is a great gun. It has double slide rails to prevent jamming when cycling the gun. The receiver is milld from a solid block of steel for function and strength. There are also the most amount of aftermarket accesories available. Keep in mind that "fit" is most important when it comes to a shotgun. Since it typically isnt aimed, but "pointed at a target, it must fit you well. The best advice I can give you is purchase it with a 26" or so smooth barrel and try it on. While holding it in your hands, close your eyes and put it up to your cheek. Open your eyes and if you can see down the barrel and the sights are aligned, that gun will probably be accurate for you. http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ss_compact.asp

If you will also hunt deer with it I would suggest you get a rifled barrel, either open sights if that's what you prefer or a cantilevered rifled barrel that will allow you to mount a scope on the barrel. This way the barrel can be removed with the scope as a unit so it will maintain its zero, or scope/barrel alignment.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...hetic_deer.asp

Here is the 870 with cantilever scope mount:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...press_slug.asp

As other have stated practice with each barrel until you are proficient. I will caution you that rifle slugs are pricey and your ability to practice may be limited. I would stock up after hunting season looking for deals at stores like Gander and dicks, looking to unload post season inventory.

My advice would be to strive to have a shotgun and a medium bore/caliber rifle also if serious about deer hunting, although many people hunt with shotguns exclusively. .
Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the combo package.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Spike

I bought the stock smooth-bored Remington 870 Express from WallyWorld brand new for under $200 out the door. Based on my reading, I thought I might have to invest in a rifled barrel to use it as a slug gun for deer hunting, UNTIL I mounted a Leupold VX-1 1-4x shotgun scope on it and started shooting the Remington Slugger 2 3/4" and 3" rifled slugs and zeroed the thing at 100 yards. It gave me 3 inch groups out to 150 yards! I was amazed. That is a very versatile gun, and has already proven itself on two wild boars, and two turkeys. It's quite possibly the only hunting gun one might ever need/want for Eastern hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.