Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope? >

Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Spike

Default Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope?

I bought a marlin 336 30-30 a few months ago, came with a simmons deerfield 3-9 on it with see thru mounts. When i finally got out to shoot it, the scope was off, about a foot high 6 inches right. I had a bad feeling about the scope though, because moving the variable power it clicked or wanted to get stuck around 5, so i took the caps off and i noticed that the windage adjustment was screwed almost all the way in to the left, so i moved it about 2 clicks and the bullet droped about a foot and a half and was 4 inches left. Any ideas? bad scope?

Also, the scope seemed too high for good cheek placement, and where i hunt i really shouldnt need to take a shot i couldnt make with open sights. Not to mention i get my father in law saying, "a 30-30 shouldnt have a scope on it" So what do you think about going open sights?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

see through mounts are junk and your scope probably is too. Either go open sights or put a peep on it for a little more precision.

A 30-30 with a scope is an abomination!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

put on some good open sights and give her hell. that is what that gun was made for anyway.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Open sights on a 30-30 just seems natural, I killed my first deer with that set up. However, I have in the 24 years since that time put a scope on mine. I just simply prefer a scope over open sights. Get rid of the over/under mounts though, they do create a cheek weld problem for most.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Spike

Ok.. Next question, what are some good open sights for this gun? and where can i get them? i have heard alot of good thing about peep sights, anyone have experience with them on this gun?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me, lever guns don't have scopes (period). Oh yea, IMO.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
For me, lever guns don't have scopes (period). Oh yea, IMO.
Agreed! Although with the hornady ammo, it has the potential to be a long range shooter. I still use core-loks 170gr and am deadly with it. I would try Skinner Peep Sights. I have shot a .30-30 with them and was good beyond 100yds.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by joker80p View Post
Ok.. Next question, what are some good open sights for this gun? and where can i get them? i have heard alot of good thing about peep sights, anyone have experience with them on this gun?
Check out Williams Gun Sight. They make an affordable very high quality sight.

I really like a rear ghost ring with dots on each side for a lever gun or shotgun. Just feels faster to me. They have those too.

Tom
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

For me I have a Marlin Glennfield 30-30 and I love my tip-off scope mount on it. The scope helps me get a little more range out of it. The tip-off allows me to use my sights when I want to and for closer shots. With the arc in the 30-30 if gives me the best of both worlds. For as far as the see threw scope mounts i tried that route and it was no good for me. I discovered after shooting it for a while it developed a hairline crack on it that threw my shots something terrible. So I went with the tip-off and I have to make sure it is locked down before shooting.. IMO this gives you the best of both worlds in a 30-30...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Peep sight. Either Williams or Lyman. End of story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.