Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope? >

Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Spike

I hate to be a naysayer but in my humble opinion a low power 32 or 40 max bell mounted with the lowest rings possible to clear the barrel works wonders. I went through several configurations with the 336. Peep sight( to dark in thick timber or low light), reflex site (too bright when low light and too light when the sun is at my back), see through mounts (the worst idea ever invented). When I picked up a Leoupold 2-7 x 33 with low mounts the clouds parted. The sight is big enough to give you a few extra minutes in the evening and low enough to keep your head down on the stock. And even at 7 power a jumped deer is toast.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your not the only naysayer my friend.. I hunt with my 30-30 and it has knocked down quite a few deer up here over the years.. The tip-off is about as close to the gun anyone will ever get.. I had to cut into the mounting bar to make the scope work for me.. Anyone can say what they want but I am happy with it and no peep on it for me.. After I set my scope up and sighted it in I put three shots right on the "X" at one hundred yards. Say what they will but the Marlin has done me just fine..
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

What would you say, if I told you it come with sights.

"Adjustable semi-buckhorn folding rear, ramp front sight with brass bead and Wide-Scan™ hood"

Get some of Hornady's leverevolution ammo and shoot-N-C targets and practice, practice, practice.

Unless you plan on becoming a bench shooter !?!?

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-11-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would answer that is why I have a tip-off mount on it. That way I can use my sights when I wanted to and my scope when I wanted to. That is a pretty simple answer and both shot fine for me. I currently have my scope set at 150 yards while my sights is set at 100 yards. This gives me what I want in my 30-30..

I agree with the practice, practice, practice though and it gets you to understand the different ranges you can shoot with it as well..

Adjustable semi-buckhorn folding rear I also agree is one of my picks for a rear sight if I was only using sights. My set up right now wouldn't allow me to put those on now. I do have a brass beaded front sight though..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 12-12-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

For me a scope on a levergun just upsets the balance and feel of it. With a Williams peep and lever evolutions sighted in at 150 yds, it does a good job on long and short shots.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cmore
I hate to be a naysayer but in my humble opinion a low power 32 or 40 max bell mounted with the lowest rings possible to clear the barrel works wonders. I went through several configurations with the 336. Peep sight( to dark in thick timber or low light), reflex site (too bright when low light and too light when the sun is at my back), see through mounts (the worst idea ever invented). When I picked up a Leoupold 2-7 x 33 with low mounts the clouds parted. The sight is big enough to give you a few extra minutes in the evening and low enough to keep your head down on the stock. And even at 7 power a jumped deer is toast.
I have to admit that the 336 looks better without a scope, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. I have a scope on mine, for now it's a cheap 3-9X40 but I plan on replacing it by next year. I have to agree with cmore, too many people worry about big 50mm scopes that can adjust to high powers. With a 30-30 you're just looking to clarify what you're shooting at so an animal isn't wounded. A 32mm objective lens is plenty big enough to give a good clear picture at reasonable power levels. IMO ideally I am looking to buy a 2-7X32 or a 1.5-6X32 scope in a satin silver to match my 336 Stainless Steel. It's hard to find this size anymore, at one time the 2-7X32 was more popular than the 3-9 power, but the trend has been to make bigger, more powerful scopes. One of these smaller, low power scopes mounted low to the receiver and set at its low end, will aquire a target as easilly as any open sight. And with the exception of somebody's uncle Charley who's a wiz with a peep sight, a low power scope will be more accurate than open sights.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed more deer with my scoped Marlin 336 than any other rifle I've owned. I used a 4x Weaver, 32mm bell w/ Weaver base & rings.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Peep sight. Either Williams or Lyman. End of story.
x2, My marlin 30-30 came with a 3x9 and I took it off and went with the Williams peep sight. Its deadly accurate. A 30-30 is a good rifle up to 150 yrds so no need for a scope. The Williams peep sight is the way to go.

Bobby
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you go to a peep sight, and I do recommend that for your particular application, the Williams and the Lyman are great choices. I'm not sure if they come with more than one aperture or not...the largest one would probably be the one I would suggest, and I have even known people to remove the aperture completely and do quite well without it......my late father being one...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I like scopes on my other rifles for lever guns I would either use open or peep sights.Just the way it was meant to be IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.