Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Short magnum craze >

Short magnum craze

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Short magnum craze

Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

well now we have a little in common,have had and still have my fair share and a few others fair share of firearms,i think that most have a place ,and try not to put someones gun down but many calibers these days are just fill ins.i never could figure out why you would need a 338 ,the 300 does everything and more,i do like the 7s and havent found the love for the weatherbys,i think the old h&h is still just as good now as it was in 1912.have many autos(mostly the so called assault weapons)but would be my last choice for hunting.the 30/06 is one of the most popular guns to date,but near bottom on my favs list.but this is all just my opinion.as far as the big bores,the 470NE is all the gun you need in ANY situation,i do like the 416 rigby over the 458 win,but the 458lott trumps both.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

yes i was referring to the 338win,the ultras are flinch starters for most men,if i was shooting game that required more gun then the 300s (which isint on this continent) i would bring the holland.i have had 2 wbys ,just never clicked with me,although i was moments away from a 378 several years ago,good thing the wife was with me.if i had to go above the 375 h&h ill go the 458 lott.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Open Range
I shoot WSM's in 2.8"-3"+ magboxes,with throats in accordance to same.

As to the 300WSM in particular,175SMKs at 3150fps+ are easily arranged in a 24" tube at 2.8".

Is is a common misconception for those who don't shoot,to mention having a rifle "throated long for the long bullets". That is folly,because sleek BC ogives do not move grossly forward,which precludes lengthening throats.

Will a .200" shift in mag COAL latitude change WSM performance? Not hardly,if only because I shoot more than a few of those very platforms.
If you spent a tenth as much time shooting as you do creating new identities to troll this forum, you just might know something.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

105 A-Max at 3200fps+. Had it out to 30MOA,from it's 250 zero.
Nice...I'm shooting the 105 Bergers at 3300fps...had it out to 600 on milk jugs and 850ish on rocks...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Blue Magoo was on fire today.

The only thing escaping my comprehension is how someone so devoid of personality and insecure enough to keep constantly inventing new identities to circumvent bans from this forum and seek more negative attention has any reason to get out of bed in the morning. Internet trolls are some of the saddest personalities around.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Sweetheart,should you ever feel so brazen enough as to question the facts I simply state,rest assured I'll be happy to rub your nose in same.

Today was good for 375rds of centerfire rifle alone and with a multitude of goods that would fully escape your comprehension.
Well at least you are able to get out and shoot, I still have a few months until I recover enough from shoulder surgery.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the name, Blue Magoo.

Tom
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

It seems like a big slow down has occured in my area with the short mags...could be because of the economy but haven't heard much about them lately at all the local ranges and sportsmens clubs... for all intents and purposes they will come close the long versions, and after all do you think a deers lungs and heart will notice the 100 fps difference, I think not!