Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
felon and a muzzleloader >

felon and a muzzleloader

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

felon and a muzzleloader

Old 01-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DANTHEHUNTER
One of the guys where I work has a felony and he called the atf by his mistake,but it worked out for him.The agent told him that a muzzle loader is not a firearm,he said so I can use it and he said it's not a firearm!! So he started hunting with it and has had no trouble at all.Now this is in Missouri dont know about any place else they may have a state law but he made it clear to him that the Fed. sees it as a non issue.

Now that's just rediculous. Not a firearm??? Just what were we shooting the British with and they us during the Revolutioary War?? Spitballs?? Where is the sanity anymore???
Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
I'd sure get something in writing,no way would I trust something I was told over a telephone. Not when it might mean going back to the big house for a federal violation.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/news...er-2005-02.pdf

Under federal law, muzzleloaders are classifed as "antique firearms" and are not subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act. According to the document listed above, individuals prohibited from posssessing firearms may purchase and possess "antique firearms", ie muzzleloaders. The catch though comes in the type of muzzleloader. If the MZ is built on a centerfire rifle frame, such as an Encore or NEF, it's considered a firearm and therefore illegal for a felon to purchase or possess. Also, if a MZ uses 209 primers, a felon can possess the actual MZ but the 209 primers are considered modern ammunition and therefore illegal for a felon to purchase or possess. Funny thing though, according to the ATF document listed above, a felon can possess black powder, percussion caps and "mini balls" as they are considered ammunition for "antique firearms". Now if state or local law prohibits a felon from possessing a muzzleloader or components of, the state law supersedes federal law. So, a felon may be in the clear under federal law, but may still be prosecuted for violating state or local laws if they apply.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chris W, Very interesting.Damned if you, damned if you don't.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's just beyond stupid that a non-violent, non-weapon realated felony, and a person who makes 1 mistake in their lifetime who has always been a responsible firearm owner can no longer own a firearm to hunt with, and/or protect themselves, their family, etc...

Life isn't black and white, people make dumb mistakes, sometimes because they really don't even know any better, or get the book thrown at them. Least in my neck of the woods it seems like every adult never made a mistake in their lifetime, least it seems that way or feels like that.

Punishments should fit crimes, but thats just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

I love how these old posts keep coming up. I would consider a muzzleloader a firearm because it is a device that uses powder and a charge to propel a projectile and ultimately hit a target. It is true atleast in indiana that the normal paper work that goes along with center fire and rimfire weapons is not normally associated with the muzzleloading firearms. I would double check my state's laws if I were a felon and considering trying to legally purchase one. (they can make animals just as dead as other guns).

In the past year I've heard of three incidents where a muzzleloader or "antique" gun was used in a crime so I don't think it will be too long before we see more regulation on them.

As far as the whole "my buddy did one small thing and got a felony rap" defense I seem to hearing. Most felonies from I know of aren't for small little things. Either your buddy is selling a bill of goods or he got screwed and doesn't understand why or for what he is being charged. Can someone please tell me what crimes you would consider a no big deal offense and you think someone should get their rights back for?

Sorry rant and rave guys but some of this stuff just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

This is an issue where states have a right to establish firearm control laws that supercede federal law...

As of the last time I looked (could have changed recently), in KY a muzzleloader is not considered a "firearm" as long as it is not or can not be made into a centerfire OR does not detonate its powder charge in-line...

So a side-lock muzzleloader is acceptable (primative / antique)...whereas an in-line muzzleloader is unacceptable regardless as to ignition...

A TC Renegade sidelock is acceptable...
A TC Encore / Omega is not acceptable...