Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 dream gun????????? >

dream gun?????????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

dream gun?????????

Old 06-03-2003, 12:31 PM

Default dream gun?????????

if you could build your ultimate dream gun what would it be and why. lets say this is a rifle that will be used for all species of north american big game(from deer to bear). this is a dream gun fellas so anything goes. what type of stock, barrel, action, caliber, scope? what would be the most important to you versatility or accuracy. who would you have build the rifle? just want to see if yall have any ideas out there as crazy as mine. i will also be thinking about this and let you all know what i come up with............
Old 06-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dream gun?????????

I could spend the rest of my life hunting with a new Ultralight arms or Bansners ultimate rifle in either 7rem mag or 338 win mag . If I wanted to spend a couple of thousand more then a D' Arcy Echols Legend in 338 win would fit the bill perfectly. The first 2 are based on push feed custom actions and the last one is a highly modified post 64 Winchester 70 action. All three have stocks from different makers but the first 2 make their own stock. Only one makes his own action(Ultralight). All but the Bansners come with their own custom scope rings. All would be pretty versatile rifles for all around hunting as well as being dead reliable and consistent . For scopes I would use the following: Leupold 2.5x8x36 on the Ultralight...Zeiss Conquest or Leupold 3x9 or 3.5x10 on the Bansner and a Leupold 3.5x10x40 on the Echols rifle...that is the only brand the man likes on his rifles and recommends. Probably irritate Woodseye with that comment but he can call the riflemaker and bitch at him.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already own my dream rifle. When I was a kid I used to shoot my uncle' s Remington 788 in 243 Win. I really loved the rifle and I shot it all the time. As a matter of fact we pretty much shot the barrel out of it, then it got pits in the bore due to a leaky roof. I always wanted a 788. Well I moved off and pretty much forgot about the rifle. When I got back from Korea two years ago I went to visit my uncle. He asked if I still worked on guns. I told him I still tinkered with them and he asked me if I wanted the Remington. I told him that I did and asked how much he wanted for it. He said nothing, just take it so he didn' t have to worry about it anymore. Well I took it home and did a little research on cartridges. I decided on 7mm-08 Rem and had the rifle rebarreled with a heavy sporter and I refinished the stock. It shoots great and has almost no felt recoil. I have really learned to appreciate the lack of recoil since a shoulder injury last year. Anyway even though the 788 wears a new barrel and shoots a different cartridge I still have many great childhood memories about it and it will always be very special to me. I just hope I can pass it along someday.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:03 PM

I have a very special relationship with my stock, out-of-the-box .270 Win in the 700 BDL SS. I' d trust that gun anywhere, anytime... but if I had to pick something else...

7mm-08 SS from Ultralight. Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x 40mm scope in matte black. My brother' s almost got this gun already (his is a custom Model 7). Lucky bastard. This is just the lightest, crispest gun you could find, and it' d be perfect for hunting the Southeast for the rest of my life, swamps to greenfields and everywhere in between.

Don' t worry, .270, I still love you!
Old 06-03-2003, 03:28 PM

another 35whelen in a mauser action. with a zeiss 1.75-6X42mm or maybe a 400whelen
Old 06-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

My dream gun would be a browning BLR in 350 remington magnum. I would mount a leupold Var x III 2.5x -8x scope on it .I would shoot nosler 225 gr partition bullets for all big game.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have had several dream guns built for me , they are for the most part a wild critter' s worst nightmare

AA
Old 06-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

1895 winchester taken down custom by zhat rifles, in 375hawk/scoville peep sight too
Old 06-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

mine is a custom mauser(of course...lol) i dont know what the barrel would be or the scope specs.....the stock would be a very nice laminated wood thumbhole...caliber....hmmmm for what your talking about probably a 300 weatherby mag.....but when i really do build mine one day which i plan on doing along with a list of other things will be something smaller.....maybe the classic 308...good up close and out far..proven time and time again....the scope i really dont know.....one day it will be mine....my mauser now is pretty much it..only i still ahve all the original military parts on it...like the barrel and such...and its in 3006.....the stock is beautiful walnut i think....but not a thumb hole....i would love a lighter smaller deer rifle but i cant retier the mauser......i love that gun....this summer i plan on seeing what we can do a bit farther....the farthest i shot it has only been 50 yds...thats all my hunting allows and thats all i practice at.....but i want to see what we can do a bit farther.....

Quick Reply: dream gun?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.