Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel length

Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Thank-you for the education guys. I went in Remingtons website and it seems like all the 700's have a 24" barrel {except the carbines} no matter what caliber.
The magnum cartridges have 26" barrels, the rest have 24" barrels.

Mike
Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hammer Wrench
You don't shoot much,do you?

For conversation,my 22,23 and 24" 25-284's are birds of a feather in the velocity department,with less than 75fps betwixt the trio in a worst case scenario.

My first 378 was 26",my second 24" and the difference was even less. My 375H&H Ackley Improveds ran the gamut from 22-24" and the differences were nothing. Have had 375H&H's from 22-26" and there's no difference there,worth fretting. The 24" 338Ultra is an outstanding platform too. Have built 243AI's from 22-26" and it's performance isn't hinged on long tubes.

Reality is,contour means little to nothing,because downrange performance is factored by the bore's interior,it's chambering quality and throat/mag harmony. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot,is a 700 based sub MR contoured 26" 257Wby wearing a PacNor 1-10".

Wives Tales are perpetuated by folks who don't shoot.

........Uhhhhh....Let me see if I get this right.... Brand new poster, talks the same as Rifle Looney, Busheles, Jesus Trip, etc., etc., and several other aliases....HE'S BAAAAACK........
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
........Uhhhhh....Let me see if I get this right.... Brand new poster, talks the same as Rifle Looney, Busheles, Jesus Trip, etc., etc., and several other aliases....HE'S BAAAAACK........
That's what I was thinking. So far, if this is the latest incarnation of Relentless Pursuit et al, he's been pretty well behaved... but given his track record, it's only a matter of time before his mouth outruns his brain and he's banned again. We shall see.

Mike
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Yes the genius of all things firearm related is here once again. How long before the old foot ends up in his mouth? Want mustard with that?

Evidently, he has read everything ever written about firearms and has shot every caliber at every animal that ever walked the planet. Didn't you guys know he is the son of the great Hath****, grandson of Samuel Colt? Yes and all that knowledge and "expertise" + $0.50 will get him a cup of coffee at his local gun show. Oh, yeah not to mention he is the greatest gunsmith that ever walked the planet. He did say he's built everything known to man.

I'll bet he doesn't make it to 12 posts, any takers?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Banned

vabyrd,

Feel free to use your very modest comprehension to copy/paste anything I've mused,that you take issue with and I'll happily use smaller words and more pics,to help you understand.

I reckon I shoulda mulled the 223AI too,as I drive them from 20-26" with all stops in between. The 22-250AI,243AI,7-08 and 308 are nicely covered too,as far as firsthand extrapolations...but knowing is akin to "cheating" in these circles.

Feel free to guess on,as it is hilarious.
Wow, you hit 20. Guess you decided to be a nice little boy, must have had your medication today. Is that a mustache or are you still nursing?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Banned

To frost same,feel free to wax eloquent on like chamberings of differing barrel lengths that you've owned and the chronographed differences attributed to same in extrapolation. That as a shallow muse,because it is largely moot,due to different chamber reamers and bore dimensioning,which do skew pressures despite like ammo.

More succinct would be you mulling the bob of a given rifle's barrel and the velocity "loss" founded after the fact,again via chronograph and ammo denotation.

Feel free to mention which chronograph you gun,as well as a sample of your wares.

laffin'
Won't be long now. How do you find the time with all the testing you do? Where is this knowledge published? I just can't believe you've denied the gun crowd all that they've been missing.

Boys and girls, this is why they banned lead paint.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this guy is a well known gunners long lost brotha' - LAME SIMPSON!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most firearms manufacturers will match the barrel for optimal performance with a specific round in hunting applications.