Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Federal Fusions >

Federal Fusions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Federal Fusions

Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Federal Fusions

Just bought a box for my 30-06 in 150 grain. I just wanted to hear any field results you might have using the fusion bullet on whitetail
Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot that same bullet out of my rifle and have found it to be the most accurate out of the many different bullets I've tried in my particular rifle. I love them. Only complaint I have is how much they have gone up in price in the last year or two. At $30 a box for them I can give up a little bit of accuracy and shoot the soft points for $14-18 in various brands and still be good enough to hunt with.

I've only shot one deer with the Fusion and it was a large doe about 150 yards away. It dropped right there and never got back up. Didn't move at all from where it was standing just fell off it's feet. The bullet had about the same size hole going in as it did coming out. It was a pass through. I wasn't sure about how small the hole was but then again it did drop the deer right there.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go now and hunt in peace, that load will bring your deer down, I've no doubt.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fantastic!

I used them this year for the first time and not only got great accuracy from them but great performance on the 2 deer and 1 hog I shot with them.
7mm. Rem. Mag. 150 gr.
First deer was a nice 10 point at a whopping distance of 17 yards away. Quartering to shot. Entered breaking the onside shoulder and jellied the lungs and exited at the back of the rib cage on the off side. The bullet held together and punched a nice nickel sized exit hole. Buck dropped like a box of rocks.
Second deer was a small spike at about 125 yards. Same quartering to angle. Same entry through shoulder and ALMOST exit at back of ribcage on the offside. The bullet was perfectly mushroomed and bulging under the skin. This little dude actually made a 20 yard mad dash before piling up.
(I'm still amazed at what a deer can take and still run!)
The hog was about 200 lbs. and apx. 50 yards away. Shot was quartering away. Entered at back of ribcage, traveled all the way through, and smashed the offside shoulder. Bullet didn't come out, and the hog was so nasty I didn't have the desire to cut him open to dig for the bullet.
Overall....I'm very happy with them.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always had good experiences with Federal ammo. From the low end blue box stuff all the way to the upper end Fusion ammo. Fire a test round or two if you haven't already and make sure your poi is where you need it to be and go out knowing that the bullet will be doing it's part.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default 7mm-08 Fusion

I use them in my 7mm-08 rifles and pistol with very good results.

In general it is very hard to beat any Federal ammo for factory loads in my opinion. I use the Federal ammo in all my 22lrs rifles and pistols, 7mm-08's , 7mm mag's. I can't reload anything any more accurate and or lethal and I have tried several times.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I shot an 8 point with a 150gr Fusion from a .308 this past weekend. Bullet entered back of rib cage and exited just behind the far shoulder, slight quartering away shot. Entrance and exit wounds were both roughly the size of quarters and the buck made it about 10 yards before piling up. Was very pleased with bullet performance.

Last year I shot a yearling doe with a 95gr from my 243 and it was a 120 yard bang-flop.

Both kills have completely liquified the heart and lungs, and I've been very impressed with accuracy too. Good luck with them!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Banned

Here's a report on Feds topped with Barnes Triple Shox.. The hole through the deer doesn't look any different than the ones with 270 130 core lokts, 140 core lokts, 280 core lokts, 150 30-30's, 150 30-06 WW, 7mm-08 130 or 140 7x57. All deer were dead when I found them. Not one was deader than the other. Why the $60 box of ammo? Dunno.... wife read something about lead fragments, kids, and deer meat and asked me to change. I deer usually last us about a year, so in 18 years I'll try something else.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the 180 gr 30-06 last year and killed a few deer with it. It has good weight retention, and the only reason I haven't used it this year, is I wasn't using my 30-06 (problems).
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Spike

i shot a deer quartering hard towards me hit it in the shoulder then it came out its back right ham while using the fusion..i was sold after this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.