Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My First Rifle Purchase

Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Spike

Hey thanks for the help guys, I doubt anytime in my near future I would be hunting Grizzly bears. If that type of adventure ever came around Im sure I would have a guide and I would be taking out the 375H&H.

Driftrider - I went to BPS yesterday and they actually had one of the CDL SF in stock 30-06. It really is a beautiful gun that might have swayed my decision of going with a blued barrel. The hit the color of that stock spot on, fit to finish it looks fantastic.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DrHouse
Hey thanks for the help guys, I doubt anytime in my near future I would be hunting Grizzly bears. If that type of adventure ever came around Im sure I would have a guide and I would be taking out the 375H&H.

Driftrider - I went to BPS yesterday and they actually had one of the CDL SF in stock 30-06. It really is a beautiful gun that might have swayed my decision of going with a blued barrel. The hit the color of that stock spot on, fit to finish it looks fantastic.
Yes, they are pretty. The fluted barrel really sets it off. You won't go wrong with that rifle. Just have them order one in 7mm-08 Rem, slap some decent glass on it, and you'll have yourself a deer's worst nightmare.

Here's my baby. I got this rifle last March as my "legacy rifle" (meaning I plan to give it to one of my kids, but not until I'm stone cold dead ). The only thing it doesn't have is a fluted barrel, but that will be corrected someday after I rebarrel it after burning the factory barrel out!

It's a Remington Model 700 LSS Limited Edition in 257 Weatherby Mag wearing a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm Side Focus w/Mil-Dot reticle:

The scope it probably too big for the application with the 50mm objective, but for the deal I got, I'll live with it. I can see 25cal shot holes at 200 yards at legal sunset with it. It's one awesome piece of glass. I love this rifle.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 12-02-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Spike

DR, that's a nice looking rifle. Out of curiosity, have you ever weighed it with that scope on it? I'd just be curious to know what the full setup weighs in real life.

Grouse
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, but I'd guess right about 9lbs, give or take a 1/4 pound. It's lighter than my Savage 10ML-II muzzleloader, but heavier than my Savage 111 30-06. The scope weighs 19.75oz (1.23 lbs).

Mike
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Spike

So after all this, the going back and forth about what gun I want or what caliber I want I ended up getting a new rifle today. I went to a massive gun shop that was fantastic, they had every single rifle that was on my list in the shop and on the floor to hold and play with.

So here it is, Browning X-Bolt .270 Win w/ Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40

Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

NIOWCE! is there anything better than a brand new rifle and scope ? I think not.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
NIOWCE! is there anything better than a brand new rifle and scope ? I think not.
Yes... TWO brand new rifles and scopes!

Nice looking rifle there, DrHouse. The Brownings are good guns. I look forward to a detailed range report after you get her out and shoot her.

Mike
Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful rifle. Get some lead through it.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I really like the feel of this rifle. I went back and held everything, played with every action and went over everything with a fine tooth comb. I got there at 1030am and finally had a winner at 130pm!! I passed up a hell of a deal on a very slightly used Rem 700 CDL SF 30-06 with a leapold 3x9x50 for 949.99.

After everything was said and done the Browning just felt the best in my hands, the trigger is crisp, the action feels fantastic and it was the look I really wanted, matte stock and matte barrel.

I also saw a shotgun there that my buddy was real close to buying but we didnt know much about it. It was a Browning 70th anniversary Silver Ducks Unlimited semi auto. The artwork on it was beautiful, it was in about 97% condition and they wanted 795.00 for it. He didnt get it because we didnt know anything about it, but none the less a very nice shotgun!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

X-Bolt in .270 Win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.