Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My First Rifle Purchase >

My First Rifle Purchase

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My First Rifle Purchase

Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by The Famous Grouse
Fair enough, just wanted to ask about the 06 because it fits in the range of calibers you mentioned.

Re the issue of recoil, I'm not sure you should place too much stock in how hard a gun may or may not kick. Granted you are of--errrrm--slight stature, but there are a couple of reasons why I'm not sure you can make recoil too much of an issue.

First, all of the guns you're looking at are within 1 pound of each other and all are bolt actions so the action isn't going to give you any recoil reduction as an autoloader would. The 16 ounces between the lightest and the heaviest will only change the felt recoil the slightest amount if at all. And for that price, you get to carry extra ounces around the woods.

IMO, to really reduce recoil, you have to have a gun that's dramatically heavier than the ones you're looking at.

I suppose it depends on how much recoil really bothers you keeping in mind that if you shoot this rifle 20 times each year, you'll be shooting it about twice as much as most deer hunters do. If recoil really bothers you, using a good recoil pad (at the range) and possibly a muzzle brake are better options than buying a heavier gun, IMO.

Personally, I think you're on the right track with the .270, but again I wouldn't get the wsm, just the regular .270. The .270 is a really good caliber, it's not a shiny new thing, but some things are popular because they just plain work. It's a real workhorse that can dispatch deer and bear with plenty of authority.

Other options would be the .280 Rem and 7mm-08. Ammo will be more limited for these options, but that may or may not matter to you all that much depending on if you have access to stores with a good selection. Obviously if you got into rural areas, the hardware store selection of .280 ammo could be a real issue, but most Walmarts will stock it.

Good luck and let us know what you pick out.

Grouse
A .270 was the original rifle I set out to buy when I started browsing the market a month ago. I believe I just need to pick one and run with it. The 270 always appealed to me because even though I hunt in the NE area it would be universal if I wanted to go somewhere else and hunt. My father lives in Colorado and it would definitly be great for some game out there as well. Its when I saw the .270 WSM that I got pulled away from the .270.

Well, at least it's not an industry with limited options!

Actually recoil isnt really a problem, I just remember the gun being very light. The only thing I've done that ever really makes my shoulder sore is a day of duck hunting and honestly the adrenaline makes most of that go away!

Last edited by DrHouse; 12-01-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's just say it's hard to go wrong. Many good cartridges, rifles, and scopes are out there. Any ole -06 or -08 cartridge would be a simple way to start.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no way I would go with a 270wsm. The ammo is more expensive and less available.

I think you're on the right path with the 308. The 308 is plentiful, cheap and maybe the best all around hunting cartridge. It can take bear, hogs, deer, coyotes etc. depending upon the load. Plus, it can do it all without hammering your shoulder with crazy recoil.

If you're set on the 270 get it and steer clear of the WSM. I have a buddy who bought a 300 WSM and I own a 300 Win mag. The recoil difference is really small, but his ammo costs almost double what mine does. He also has a harder time finding it, because it's a niche cartridge.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing wrong with a Savage. for deer, 308, 30.06 or my fav 7mm-08 are all perfect. A 270 works well too. Personally i would go with 7mm-08.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DrHouse
I have considered a 30-06 and there is one major reason I'm staying away from it. I have 3 of them coming down the pipline once the generations start knocking off, Grandpa has 2 dad has 1. I know its a fantastic and incredibly universal round but thats the primary reason I'm not getting one. My grandpa's primary deer rifle his whole life has been a Winchester 100 .308, he swears by it has shot countless bucks and wouldn't bring anything else in the woods so naturally he thinks I shouldn't be shooting anything but one of those.
Thanks guys!
So are you buying this rifle, or is your grandpa? He's got his favorite deer rifle, but it's up to you to find your own. The 308 Win is a great cartridge, but it's your money and will be your gun. Get what YOU want. I'd suggest you find a rifle you like first, and worry about the cartridge later. Unless you're looking for something unusual, just about every manufacturer chambers for the Big 7 (.243 Win, 308 Win, 25-06 Rem, 270 Win, 30-06 Springfield, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag). Any of these are awesome deer cartridges. The 7mm-08 has also been recommended several times, and would be another great choice.

Mike
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Spike

I'm pretty much set on the Savage 14/114 American Classic but I still havent felt the Weatherby so I'm making the trip this weekend to look at it. My biggest concern at this point is finding the rifle that I like the most.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
If you really like the Rem700 CDL, then look at the 7mm-08 Remington version. It's merely a 308 Win case necked down to 7mm (0.284"). It'll give you just about the same energy of the 308 Win but will shoot flatter and kick a little less. And it's a short action. I don't think that you'll be disappointed with the 7mm-08.

Mike
+2 on the 7mm-08 excellent deer round and own several of them. A good 700 action is very hard to beat as well!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Spike

I like the 7mm looks like a great round, Ill knock the 270wsm off the list and look at that. Would you have any problems taking a 7mm-08 on a bear hunt?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black bear... no problem at all. Brown bear... yes. But then again, if I were going looking to pick a fight with a Grizzly bear, I'd want to be packing at LEAST a 338 Win Mag, but probably more like a 375 RUM. But that's just me.

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DrHouse
I like the 7mm looks like a great round, Ill knock the 270wsm off the list and look at that. Would you have any problems taking a 7mm-08 on a bear hunt?
The 7mm-08 isn't a bad choice. The only problem I see is it's almost identical in terms of velocity and energy when compared to the 308. The 308 is still cheaper and has more versatility in loads and can be found everywhere.

With that said, I see no problem with the 270, 7mm-08 or the plain jane 308. I just really dislike the WSM cartridges, because they cost a lot more, are harder to find and don't knock enough recoil off to be worth it. IMHO, if you want to reduce recoil get a limbsaver pad and buy reduced recoil rounds and you'll come out ahead if that's the goal.

As mentioned by the above poster black bear no problem, but I wouldn't hunt a grizzly with it. Grizzly is a different beast all together.

Last edited by robbcayman; 12-02-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.