Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Hunter-Need firearm advice >

New Hunter-Need firearm advice

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Hunter-Need firearm advice

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
Are you going to be going at this primarily on your own? Does your Dad hunt? How old are you?

Tom

i agree,sounds like ya never hunted deer befor, you said you always liked hunting,that dont mean he's been..and nothin wrong with that we have all been there!!!!! what rifle do you usually shoot..? have ya been before? who is actually buyin the gun.?..

i bought a combo, but i put their scope on my 22lr and a different scope on the new one..if ya dont shoot very much, or haven't , i would recommend trying to shoot a friends/your dads/brothers/someones rifle and see how it feels, under total supervision from a range master or someone who handles guns..this is not always your friends or your dad!!!!no need killin yourself or someone else tryin to figure what gun ya like!!!

if it kicks to hard, down size...if the gun kicks ya too hard, dont be manly and say its ok..because every-time ya shoot it you will just be waitin on the ick instead of concentrate on the shot..

i recommend 223 to new shooters...after a while shootin a 22 of course
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the sound of your post I strongly recommend some time with someone who can help you with firearms safety and instruction.

Safety FIRST.

BTW, IMO the Savage you are looking at would serve your purposes well. .270 or maybe .30-06.