Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm RUM or STW >

7mm RUM or STW

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm RUM or STW

Old 05-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Spike

Default 7mm RUM or STW

Which is the best for long range using handloads? Planning on a sendero. Thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm RUM or STW

If you look at the balistics,the STW preforms better at " long" range shooting...
Old 05-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own a 7mm ultramag and two 7mmstw' s.I only see about 50 fps more out of the ultramag .I don' t believe the ultramag case is worthwhile on bores smaller than .308.The 300 ultramag however is able to produce about 100 to 150 fps more velocity than my 300wby mag did.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm STW. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine would be a 7mm STW, I' ve had both in the past, never really cared for any 7mm at all anyhow, but good deals are good deals, if someone GAVE me a STW, I' d take it gladly, but I won' t buy another 7mm. I wouldn' t even accept a RUM if someone handed it to me.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

No mercy-It appears we all have cartridges that we have no use for.I would not own a 270 of any kind myself.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:13 PM

Remington' s quality control for yhe past several years has been in the toilet! As a gunsmith I have to dear with this often. I played with the 7 Ultea as soon as the .300 came out. in those days we pulled apart .300 Ultea ammo to get the brass as it was not available for over a year from when the .300 came out. Now to your question. The 7 Ultra will not live up to its potential untill Remington runs a slower twist, you can over stabilise a bullet and accuracy goes to hell. Using 140 grain bullets and a one in nine twist, which is used for the 7 when you go much over 3400 F.P.S. your groups will open up. With a 1 in 11 twist and a GOOD barrel you can get around 3600 F.P.S. and under 1/2" groups. Now, the 1 in nine twist will work well with 175 grain bullets and you can get 3450 with these and good accuracy. Oh yes, the down side to the 7 Ultra. Compaired to the S.T.W. you get substancially more recoil, Poor quality control as far as ammo and rifles are concerned. With factory ammo you will be one or two inches flatter then the S.T.W. at 500 yards but beat to death doing it. Yes you can hand load and with the right barrel, twist, or heavy bullets beat the S.T.W. by a large margin but for what purpose? Few of us want .416 Rigby recoil in a long range rifle and that is about what you get. Even fewer of us, and I am no exception, and I shoot thousands of rounds a year, have the compitance or ability to constantly make killing shots, (a group under 6" ) at over 300 yards. Even fewer of us are good enough,( if our target runs off and does not drop instantly) to be able to find the exact location of our game and pick up a blood trail at these extended ranges.
There is nothing the Ultra can do that should be done that the S.T.W. can not do very nicely. One more point, to get the ultimate from the Ultras, any of them, you need a 29" barrel, where the S.T.W. works very well with a 26" tube.

Your Friend
Jud
Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
bigcountry

Nomercy, did you have a bad experience with 7mm? Or RUMs? Maybe tell us your problems you have had.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as having a bad experience, no, that' s not why I don' t care for 7mm' s, bad experiences, in that context, can and will happen with any and all rounds given enough time and whatnot, everything bites someone in the arse at least once. That may be somewhat of a lie, as NONE of the 7mm' s I loaded (STW was fair, but RUM, WBY mag and RM were awful) could handle 150gr or heavier bullets for diddly squat, and I' m not a fan of throwing 130grs at animals bigger than whitetailed deer. Many have done it, and I' m sure many still do hunt bears with 7mm' s where legal, but buffalo were once hunted almost into extinction with .30-30' s, anybody want to hunt a buffalo with a .30-30 today?

My problem with the 7mm' s is the hype. It' s good, but the bragging it gets would make it seem like they are the end all of centerfire small bores, that they surpass all others in performance, and the increased recoil is worth it (not a problem for me, but it is for my significant other, and others who often use my arms), when in all actuallity, I can get MANY rounds that will push a 150gr bullet

To each his own, I' m always one to preach that, but to me my own as well, and I wasn' t really impressed by any 7mm' s that I' ve owned. The STW was an unusally good round, and I like belted magnums (even though the belt' s basically cosmetic), but to hear 7mm shooters speak on the subject, shooting a 7mm bore will blow your mind, yes, you have to live with increased recoil, but the increased power and accuracy and range is so astonishing that you' ll never need/want another cartridge/caliber. Uh-huh, riiiiiight, granted, I' ve always been a fan of fat bullets not moving terribly fast for my 300yrds or less cartridges, but my battery contains several of various magnums and other fast movers, and fast is fun, but when you' re only fast because you' re skinny, you wear bbls and cases quickly and kick like hell, you' re not worth the trouble, if I buy something that kicks harder than what I' ve got, it had better be because it' s for bigger/more dangerous game, or at least a considerably longer range, which the 7mm' s don' t offer over many standard velocity cartridges. If you want to say your round is the best simply because it kicks the daylights out of you compared to it' s non-mag counterparts (should I even include 30cal? counterparts), travels at over 3x the speed of sound, and does everything standard velocity cartridge does, then brag up on it, but as far as I' m concerned, the increased power/flattened trajectory isn' t that worthwhile. If recoil and energy was my game, my .416rigby' s or my .458Lott whomps the 7mm into the dirt, but I seldom take those out after deer, because any of my 30cals are just better deer cartridges.

Now that I re-read my original post, I need to retract and alter a statement, I claimed I' d never own another 7mm, which is possibly false, I should have said I' ll never own another 7mm mag, because I' m a fan of the 7-30waters and the 7-08, the 7-30 offers a great improvement over the .30-30, and is probably the best small bore levergun deer cartridge available, since 35cals are getting up there in weight for deer. The 7mm-08 is in the same category, but what these two offer that the others don' t is better performance than similar rounds (or equal performance in the 7-08), but it doesn' t come at the cost of unnecessarily increased recoil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.