Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How to reteach yourself good shooting habits. >

How to reteach yourself good shooting habits.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to reteach yourself good shooting habits.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How to reteach yourself good shooting habits.

I have thisthing about shooting.I can shoot on sure i could shoot a guy at 10 feet and drop him. But no matter what i shoot i can not get my groups where i want them. It is one reason i bought a 10/22 but i have not had the chance to shoot it the way i want. Here are my issues how can i solve them.
When i shoot my glock i tend to shoot to fast and jerk the trigger.
When i shoot a rifle i tend to flinch and sometimes jerk the trigger. Not sure why i never did this in ky with my ar15s or the 30/30. Seems i was good in ky i could hit a 6inch group with a ar15 iron sights at 100 yards. That with 30 rounds and shooting from standing pos.
I am getting a muzzleloader and want to hunt with it. so i feel i need to solve these issues. What do you think. Just go out and shoot take my time or what.
Also i have two people who normaly go to the range with me. One is a older guy i know who was in the army and seems to think he knows everything about shooting the other is my young cousin. They both tend to have there own little things that can distract me from shooting would i be better of going by my self. I like taking someone incase something happens. No need for me laying out in the middle of no where with abullet hole in me.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Dry Fire practicing can work wonders. .22s don't like dry firing too much, but you can get snap caps even for them. With slow dry fire practice you can actually see your hands pull the muzzle off target (especially with pistols) and then can work to eliminate what you see. Also flinching will become painfully obvious when dry firing.

Other things to concentrate on while dry firing is your breathing, your concentration and on absolutely freezing your entire body for a count of 3 after pulling the trigger. Good shooting is 90% mental - you need to teach yourself to control what is happening with your body as you shoot and block out everything but the sights and the target.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice, practice and more practice. Having an observer who can let you know what your doing and when your doing is a big help.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Dry firing is probably one of the best ways to focus on flinching. When you shoot your 22, try and watch the bullets leave the barrel and hit the target. Shooting is a mental game, if you can master the mental aspect of it, you will hit your target every time.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen these plastic/rubber "bullets" around in cabelas and bass pro shops. They are better than dry firing w/ a previously fired case in the chamber.
Practice firing your gun is the only way to get better at not flinching on your end, on the guns end I would not be suprised if the stock settings on the stock trigger *if its even adjustable* would be totally un usable. Its a Anti gun Demy trick they forced down the gun manufacturers throats on us. It goes like this, "if we can't take their guns then we will make them unusable" and so they allowed frivolous law suits to run the weak gun manufacturers out of business *scaring us all and ruining many pairs of pants* and forced the remaining gun manufacturers to set the triggers at some ridiculously high poundage so you can not shoot accurately.
Have it checked, and you may want to have it adjusted. I have all my guns fitted with an after market trigger assembly because no factory trigger can hold a candle to my Timney triggers. They are smooth as silk, crisp as can be and light as can be. Just a joy to go shoot.
I warn you though, Timney's are expencive and once you get one you will want one on all of you guns. Timney's=wallet rape Luls