Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Question about level crosshairs relative to turrets. >

Question about level crosshairs relative to turrets.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about level crosshairs relative to turrets.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about level crosshairs relative to turrets.

I found a bubble level and decided to double check three of the scopes I've mounted myself with it.

Did my M700 with $700 Zeiss Conquest first. Scope was very slightly off level, and I corrected it. Now the top turret is level with the action, and using a plumb the vertical crosshair is lined up dead center with the bolt and bore. Ok, great.

Then did my Savage 111 with $120 Konus Pro scope. Scope was dead on as mounted, and everything lined up. Awesome.

Then I checked my Savage 10ML-II with $50 Bushnell of unknown model, but if I remember it was a Walmart special. Leveled the action, and then put the bubble on the turret. WAY OFF. Plumbed the vertical crosshair and it was a little off the OTHER WAY. WHAT THE ____?! I always though the crosshairs were a little off, but the crosshairs and turret lean opposite direction? Something's screwy. My thought is that the crosshairs are somehow turned relative to the turrets. This might explain why this scope has always been hard to sight in, because "right" is not always just right, and "up" is not always just up. Once the scope is sighted in, the POI doesn't move, but getting there is a bit of a chore. So I went ahead and lined up the vertical with the centerline of the bolt as best I could, but I'm wondering if the scope is just junk. Do reticles just turn or can they be installed off kilter?

Mike
Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, you think that it's a paperweight? The crosshairs are only off maybe 5-7 degrees, but they are very definitely canted relative to the turrets. Guess you get what you pay for! Just wish I had $500 bones to spare and I'd slap a Conquest 3-9x40 on it and be happy!

Thinking probably more of a Bushnell Elite 3200 or maybe 4200, though. Good thing I already shot my ML deer this year (with this very gun/scope).

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look around for used scopes there's lots of deals out there.

Tom