Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How to store guns? >

How to store guns?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to store guns?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to store guns?

So I've of course have always been under the impression not to sure a gun in case. To either put it in a gun cabinet or safe. However, I've got several friends that leave them in cases all the time. They don't seem worried about it either. Is this something where it's fine as long as you oil it down first and don't put it in a foam lined case? Or is it going to cause it to rust? Just wondering if it's going to cause damage to their guns or am I the one that's incorrect here?

They mostly use those gun sock things you can get at gun shows that are just fabric or just wrap it in a blanket or something like that to store it. Not the knit gun socks with silicone though. They aren't using hard cases with foam or anything.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I store my guns in zip-up padded cases or foam-padded hard cases. In the zip-up ones, I leave part of the case open so it can "breathe." Not much humidity here, so it's not too easy to rust. I just oil my guns before I put them away.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Spike

I prefer a safe with a dehumidifier if in areas of high humidity. Foam cases have caused rust over time , if you use them you should check every so often.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what I put all my guns in;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Works great.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

i keep mine in the foam cases as well. As long as you oil them down after the season they will be fine. I have been doing this for years and never got rust on any of them.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I think your issue is when you bring the gun into or out of temp extremes and then put them in the case.. For example if it is cold in the house and then you take the gun outside in the summer and it condenses on the gun then you leave that condensed gun in the case your going to have issues.. I would leave the case open so the gun can breath...
Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

First year i had my mossberg sit hangin on the wall after season was over i cleaned and oiled it. I covered the thingin oil. The start of season last season i noticed a spot of rust on the bottom of the barrel. I think if you clean them and oil them and check them so often and maybe a mid year cleaning.