Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
sighting in trouble?  a few shots off by them selves. >

sighting in trouble? a few shots off by them selves.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in trouble? a few shots off by them selves.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default sighting in trouble? a few shots off by them selves.

we sighted in a few guns the other day. first one was a new remington 243, started at 25 then 50 and then 100 grouping is pretty close at an inch high. we then went to a savage 243 and we got it shooting an inch to the left and then an half inch to the right of the bulls eye? is this bout as close as were gonna get with the normal federal power shok shells? and we then shot my browning a bolt 7mm rem mag and i hit about 4 inches high frist shot next 3 shots were all about a 1/2 to an 1" high dead on and then last two shots were 3 inches high and 1 to the right? i dono whats going on. seems like i have trouble every year jus getting that 7 mm zerod consistantly. i went out and bought a cabelas nitro shoulder sheild. it worked good we put velcro straps on the front to hold the barrel down from jumping and added weight to keep the movement minnimal, we still had movement but not much. although the table we were using was kind of wobbly but most shots shouldnt have been that far off. and we let the barrel cool some after 2 shots any info on what we may be doing wrong. thanks for reading
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Touching the bbl with anything is one problem. Scopes could be loose or broken, gun might not like the load, fouling can sometimes change how a gun will shoot (more of a muzzleloader thing though), operator error , stock bedding or loose mounting screws. etc...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

also ANTICIPATING the shot ,flinching ,jerking the trigger ,barrel not free floating ..without actualy seeing your base and mounts and scope it's next to impossible tell u what is wrong ..too many factors involved ...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i checked the screws and all are tight. im going to try and get a more better table and try that.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Banned

Flinch McFlinchy.....243 is nothing compared to 7mm Mag. Breathe and squeeze. Barrel could be getting a little toasty too..