Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
30-378 Wby vs 300 RUM >

30-378 Wby vs 300 RUM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-378 Wby vs 300 RUM

Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

SG,
the 338s are an option- the caliber isn't out of my view. I guess I'm moreso interested right now in the case type it's built off of and why I should choose one over the other. When it comes to wildcats, I would want something that's easy to get or make brass for without breaking the bank. I can live with buying custom dies that will last.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
maybe so, but there are a few who know how to do it, read up on it, go lrh.com there are a bunch of folks who do it but don't post it on sites like this for this very reason, go on over and read shawn carlocks post of his neighbor, who took a deer at 976 yards with a 300 Rum that shawn built him, Oh and BTW he's 13 years old.
RR

I tried to play RR's game, but didn't have the dedication or range to make it happen. MD is not too long range friendly.

I look forward to RR's handywork during end of Nov. Always a crowd pleaser.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you glass carefully enough at the real estate between you and the deer a mile away, you might find others that are a little closer.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR, what can you tell me about the significance of subsonic flight of a projectile?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah. All I know is that there is some aerodynamically funky stuff that happens when the bullet passes through the "transsonic" region (mach 0.8 to 1.2) that serious messed up the flight of rifle bullets. Apparently, the same bullet would be perfectly stable and accurate both above mach 1.2 and if fired below about mach 0.8, but the transition somehow wrecks any accuracy, but I've never found an understandable explanation of why.

Mike
Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, interesting....maybe something to do with the shockwave against air and center-of-gravity has something to do with it
Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone know who this new troll "Relentless Pursuit" is?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Relentless Pursuit
I shoot alotta 30-8mmRemmag too...but gimme a 7mm when the chips are down.
I think I might be leaning toward a 7mm cartridge. They seem to be better off (for caliber) than the 30s, and still don't lack tough bullets for larger game. Plus, I can double-up components from my 7mmRM. Yet, this purchase would be long down the road, as I want the best quality I can get for a reasonable price.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the Allen Mag has my attention right now.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weight and handling...not a terrible consideration of mine. I have lighter setups when needed. The rifle, like all of my others, would not be shot without a bipod. I learned early on never to go into the field without a rest. Anyways, a long action and long barrel aren't a fear of mine. Maybe I'm weird, but I am willing to carry the weight for forgiveness of drop, and hey, a big gun is cool . I'm sure I'm not the first one to tote such a setup Knowing range is NOT yet an option for hunting. A range finder will hopefully be in my bag of tricks soon. For now, estimation has had to settle (unless at targets, when I took the time), but then again I've not taken shots at game so far I did not know the drop would be within the vitals. For this reason--a flatter shooter will help make up for SOME error in estimation. Extended range shooting is not planned upon until I get a range finder, but I still want a larger magnum anyways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.