Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
owners of the 700 mountain rifle??? >

owners of the 700 mountain rifle???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

owners of the 700 mountain rifle???

Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Bought one new in Sept 98 chambered for 25-06. Had a bad tube on it and wouldn't shoot for snot (believe me I put my time in trying to make it). The bore did not exit concentric with the OD of the barrel.

Rebarreled it with a Shilen match grade 7mm tube, chambered it for 280 Rem, squared up the receiver, lugs and bolt and I am happy as a peach with it now.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own one of the newer LSS in .260 Rem. great gun and I really like carrying it but I have always wondered "what the hxll were they thinkin". Remington put a heavy laminated stock on a rifle they titled the Mountain Rifle that comes standard with a pencil thin barrel and obviously build with what started out as a lightweight theme. Get the walnut/blued model and you will be happy.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

An LSS is in my collection, 270 Win. And I hear ya bout the heavy lam stock. The lam looks great. But I got tired of lugging it around so I found a B&C comp stock that cut a good pound off the weight. Doesn't look as nice but that's ok. I don't worry about it getting dinged up now. Shoots great too. One of my favorite rifles.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

I bought a used one - blue, walnut in 7mm-08. I bedded the action and adjusted the trigger. It shoots .5 - .75 with handloaded 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I've never been a big fan of skinny barrels but the mountain rifles seem to shoot better than they should.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mountain Rifles 700s

I have a 270 and three 30-06s. I'm tickled with all of them. I will make an earnest effort to get better acquanted with the 06 for my main gun. Have many bigger guns but the MTs just carry and handle so darn good, shoot great. I know the 06 will do anything I ask it to if I do my part. Go for it and never look back. You'l be glad you did. Besides, the wood stock ones are real classics.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know which one you are thinking about. I too have been looking for one in a .270! LOL! $450 is a SUPER price. Don't delay and snatch it up.

While looking into the same mountain rifle, I had a few questions too and nothing bad came up. The big positive is that it was lighter and that is why I considered it. I still hunt(sneak hunting) a lot and the heavier 700's seemed to get.... well, heavier the longer you used them. LOL!

They're a sweet looking gun. Congrat's on finding a good one for that price.

iSnipe