Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Striker >

Savage Striker

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Striker

Old 05-26-2003, 03:45 AM

Default Savage Striker

I’m a huge fan of the Remington XP-100 ( not the “R” model ) and just love the one I do own. I do have plans on buying a few more to play around with but they are getting harder to find at a good price.

I was looking at the Savage Striker the other day in 308 and was wondering if any of you had any experience with them. The one thing I did notice was the trigger was horrible, I mean really horrible, and with a transfer bar trigger I’m betting that you can’t get an after market for it.

I could really use your insight.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Savage Striker

Rifle Basix ( i believe, either them or Timiney) makes a trigger for the Striker. I just got a new catalog in yesterday and they had them in there. Here' s their webpage...

http://www.grafs.com/
Old 05-28-2003, 11:25 PM

I had a Savage Striker in .308 win the thing would not group any weight bullet between 110gr-200gr at 75 yards. I mean the gun would not group for S#!T. The best I could get was 6" the worst was 24" [:' (]. I tried factory ammo and handloads. I sent the burris scope back and they said it was fine. 3x-12 Burris if I remember right. I had several people shoot the gun, same results. Two gunsmiths looked it over, said it was fine. I had a B-square bi-pod installed when I was shooting too. I removed the pod, shot off a very sturdy Sinclair benchrest, same results. I did not even bother to send it to Savage, too P!$$@d off. I traded it in. Theres no room in my gun safe or cabinet for a gun that groups anywhere near those figures.
I aggree the trigger was horrible, but that was not my problem.

I know a fellow who comes to the local range he has a .223 REM and .22-.250 REM and they are real tack drivers.

You can replace the trigger on the Striker, try www.natchez.com or www.midwayusa.com or www.midsouthshooters.com one of these will have a trigger.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, I think I’m going to pass on the Striker. After I factor in the cost of the gun, and a new trigger, I’m looking at the cost of a nice XP-100. There is just no way the Savage is going to out perform the Remington. My XP will group MOA on its worse day.

I’m thinking 3 or 4 custom XP’s in the safe [:-]

As Austin Powers would say Yea Baby!!