Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bear defense gun >

Bear defense gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: which gun?
12 ga
50.00%
alaskan
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Bear defense gun

Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default read

I would rather kill the bear then just blind it for a minute and make it even madder...
I get the impression that you think you'd be an exception to the info in the article above.
98% success with bear spray vs. 60% success with a firearm.
And that minute that the bear is blind (if, in fact, that is the only result) is when you leave.
Pete
Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I am generally sceptical of stats by biologist anymore. I find more often than not that the study was intented to verify a predetermined outcome. Some of these "biologists" dont belive we should be allowed to carry guns for defense and may want to make it appear guns are ineffective.

That being said I would imagine that the bears senses (smell, taste, sight) are much more senstive than ours and that may make the sprays very effective on bears despite their size.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pete D.
I get the impression that you think you'd be an exception to the info in the article above.
And that minute that the bear is blind (if, in fact, that is the only result) is when you leave.
Pete

The problem with the article's stats are that it's not a large enough sample of the pepper spray incidents to compare it to the firearm statistics.

Nor does it take into account the circumstances of each incident.

With pepper spray, you have to be ready for it. If you're walking around with the spray in your hand, then you'd have a much better chance of repelling the attack. But how many hunters walk around with bear spray in their hands vs. how many walk around with a ready firearm?

Then you have to account for how far away the bear was when you decided to shoot/spray. And how fast/committed the bear was to the attack. Furthermore, it does not state which of the successful spray incidents their were multiple hunters available where someone was standing by with a firearm.

Probably the best solution (if you can call it that) is to carry both. And use them in accordance to the situation. Too many variables and not enough info in these stats to qualify them.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for the origional question.

It would depend on what the shotgun was loaded with, and how many rounds each of the specific platforms carried. And the type of action used. Not to mention how comfortable the user is with each platform.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Since I am the only person who lives with grizzlies on a daily basis to chime in here I'll say this. Bear spray is your only chance to not get hurt. You can not hit a charging grizzly with the one round you are going to get off before he/she rips you to pieces! I have a buddy who carries spray and a gun. He works with grizzlies. He figures the best thing the gun is for is to shoot yourself when you're getting mauled to save yourself the suffering.

Bear spray blinds them and fries their nose for a whole lot longer than a few minutes.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel I'm pretty good with a gun and very quick to target.
I'd choose the spray!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default spray

With pepper spray, you have to be ready for it. If you're walking around with the spray in your hand, then you'd have a much better chance of repelling the attack. But how many hunters walk around with bear spray in their hands vs. how many walk around with a ready firearm?
You have to be ready in either case, gun or spray. How many people walk around with a gun at the ready? Maybe if you are a hunter and you are stalking and your gun is loaded and ready to shoot - cartridge in the chamber, safety off - then you are ready for a quick shot. Maybe. Is that situation the one that happens most? People are walking - maybe cutting through the brush from the road to the river to go salmon fishing or hiking with a pack on their back. They happen upon a bear. Or, as in the OP, you are in a tent at night. (In THAT scenario, where I don't have the luxury of running away, I'd like something that will put and end to the threat now and finally). Gun or spray - it doesn't matter - if the bear is close and charges, they may not get to bring either into action.
Pete
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to be ready in either case, gun or spray. How many people walk around with a gun at the ready? Maybe if you are a hunter and you are stalking and your gun is loaded and ready to shoot - cartridge in the chamber, safety off - then you are ready for a quick shot. Maybe. Is that situation the one that happens most? People are walking - maybe cutting through the brush from the road to the river to go salmon fishing or hiking with a pack on their back. They happen upon a bear. Or, as in the OP, you are in a tent at night. (In THAT scenario, where I don't have the luxury of running away, I'd like something that will put and end to the threat now and finally). Gun or spray - it doesn't matter - if the bear is close and charges, they may not get to bring either into action.
Pete

Yes, you have to be ready in either case. But when walking through the woods, I always have a firearm ready. Don't always have spray ready. In a tent at night, are you really gonna spray? You'd contaminate yourself first. Then you have almost zero chance if the bear is still comitted. Hopefully spraying yourself would at least discourage the bear from wanting to attack you.

I'm not saying either is the better choice. Both would be the ideal choice. I was just poking holes in the study, that's all.

And yes, I'm always chambered and off safe when holding a firearm. Never used a safety unless a range master required it. Muzzle direction and my finger are my safety. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger.

I've seen pepper spray very effective on both humans and bears. And I've seen it non-effective on both humans and bears. I'd prefer to have both. But if you happen to already be holding a rifle when the charge begins, it's your best bet. Dropping it and switching to pepper spray is not. The ideal situation is to not be alone and have one person with spray and one with a rifle. But we're not always with a partner.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

take the 12ga but use full bore hard cast slugs like the dixie terminator slugs, if you have to use a smoothbore use a brenneke big game slug. The standard remington/winchester foster style slug are just about worthless on bears.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pete
I don't really know if I'd be the exception or not, but personally I would rather take my chances with whatever is in my hands at the time...and most likely that would be a firearm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.