HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear defense gun
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
elgallo114
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pete D.
You have to be ready in either case, gun or spray. How many people walk around with a gun at the ready? Maybe if you are a hunter and you are stalking and your gun is loaded and ready to shoot - cartridge in the chamber, safety off - then you are ready for a quick shot. Maybe. Is that situation the one that happens most? People are walking - maybe cutting through the brush from the road to the river to go salmon fishing or hiking with a pack on their back. They happen upon a bear. Or, as in the OP, you are in a tent at night. (In THAT scenario, where I don't have the luxury of running away, I'd like something that will put and end to the threat now and finally). Gun or spray - it doesn't matter - if the bear is close and charges, they may not get to bring either into action.
Pete

Yes, you have to be ready in either case. But when walking through the woods, I always have a firearm ready. Don't always have spray ready. In a tent at night, are you really gonna spray? You'd contaminate yourself first. Then you have almost zero chance if the bear is still comitted. Hopefully spraying yourself would at least discourage the bear from wanting to attack you.

I'm not saying either is the better choice. Both would be the ideal choice. I was just poking holes in the study, that's all.

And yes, I'm always chambered and off safe when holding a firearm. Never used a safety unless a range master required it. Muzzle direction and my finger are my safety. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger.

I've seen pepper spray very effective on both humans and bears. And I've seen it non-effective on both humans and bears. I'd prefer to have both. But if you happen to already be holding a rifle when the charge begins, it's your best bet. Dropping it and switching to pepper spray is not. The ideal situation is to not be alone and have one person with spray and one with a rifle. But we're not always with a partner.