Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mMy new gun!!! >

mMy new gun!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mMy new gun!!!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Spike

Thumbs up mMy new gun!!!

I bought a new Remington 770 model 270 caliber, bolt action, synthetic stock with camo patern and stainless steel barrel. It is light and kicks like a bad dog, lol. I plan to get a limb saver slip on boot as soon as I get home so I can properly sight it in as I will be doing mostly free arm shooting. I hunt out of a ladder stand and want it to be as kick free as possible, but need the knockdown power of the 270 as I hunt in a creek bottom and can't afford to have a twig throw off my shot, lol. I previously used my Grandfather's Browning 243 Bar safari. It was heavy, but shot like a 22. I even manged to drop it a couple times and it was always on like donkey kong. Does anyone else have the Rem. 270 like mine? Any concerns or advice on it?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Try Remington's Managed Recoil load...my 8 year old son uses those in my .270 to deer hunt with...the recoil with them is noticably less than a full power .270 load...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me I'd sell it and buy something else first.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike

i had a black 30-06 770 it shot good but i never like the the bolt and the way it moved it's not a bad gun for the price but i traded mine for a para p-14 45acp which was worth a lot more thats the only reson i got rid of it
Old 10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've bought one fine caliber for deer. Id suspect even as much as the 770 is lambasted that the yearly hunter who fires a box or 2 of shells a year will be served well for many years to come. Slip a Sims or R3 on that bad boy and start killing deer. As Teach Deer mentioned the Remmy Managed Recoil loads shoot very well and are very effective on deer.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

Default Sims or R3!!!

Hey, what is the Sims or R3 you mentioned? I am going to pick up some Managed Recoil Loads in a couple days. Those coupled with the limbsaver slip on recoil pad should be more than enough to take the punch out of it, lol. I shoot free arm out of my ladder stand and this is the only reason why I desire to decrease the kick, but if I was in a box blind or still hunting with shooting sticks then I wouldn't worry about it. Thanks for the help guys. Oh, about how much do the Managed Recoil Loads cost for the 270, thanks.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank the reduced recoil loads should be able to be had for around 20 or a shade less. The R3 is the Remington factory recoil reduction pad. It comes stock on most of the new Remmys now. Sims makes the R3 for Remmy as well as the Limbsaver so any is as good as the other. Keep us updated on how it shoots. Sorry for the delay I havent been able to get on much in the last week.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I would have stuck with the 243... You may only occationally hit a twig, but if your recoil senstive you'll flinch every time..

I just like the 243...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You asked, so here goes...

To put it nicely, there are much better rifles out there for similar money. You bought it, and if you don't have a frame of reference to judge it by, you probably think that it's a good rifle. It will do it's job if you do your part, but the M-770 is a cheap rifle, disposable rifle. Remington takes a lot of shortcuts to keep the price down. It is a functional utility rifle with little or no value to anyone but you once you walk out of the store.

So now for the really bad news... the 270 Winchester is going to kick a little, especially if the rifle is light. Just the way it is. I'm going to assume that when you say "free arm" you're actually trying to say "offhand," which is the technical term for shooting standing. If so, that is by far the best position for mitigating felt recoil. This is because your body, as a consequence of being the least stable support for the rifle while standing unsupported, is most able to move with the recoil, thus making it feel the lightest possible. If the recoil bothers you so much when you shoot standing, it won't feel any better any other way.

If I'm correct, the 770 comes with the R3 (aka the Sims Limbsaver) recoil pad as standard. The R3 is about as good as it gets for a recoil pad. In my experience, only the Remington SuperCell is better, but it only comes on the mid-priced and up guns to my knowledge. If the rifle still kicks more than you like, I'd suggest that you go get a PAST recoil pad that you wear over your right shoulder at the range. I have one and it makes a lot of difference. You'll never remember the recoil when you have a deer in you sights, but you will still flinch instinctively if the rifle is uncomfortable during practice. I would forgo the slip on pad in addition to the factory pad, because unless you're very tall with very long arms, the additional length-of-pull will do you more harm than good.

Now I must go on to dispel a couple myths that just won't seem to die.

First, there is really no such thing as "knockdown power" when referring to small arms. The force the deer feels pushing against it can be no greater than the force that you feel as the gun recoils. It's an EQUAL, but opposite, reaction. The deer appears to get knocked down only because the trauma the bullet creates disrupts the muscles and nervous system and the deer falls down because the muscles no longer support its body weight. Simply put, if the gun doesn't knock you down when you fire it, it won't physically knock down a similar weight animal when hit by the bullet it fired.

Secondly, the bigger .277" bullet will not resist deflection any better than a similarly shaped .243" bullet, or any other bullet for that matter. If it hits a twig, the result bullet will be destabilized and deflected, resulting in a completely unpredictable flight path after the impact. I've had a 410 grain 50 cal bullet deflected more than 10 FEET in 25 yards after hitting a small branch. That bullet is far heavier and more stable than any spitzer rifle bullet. The reality is that the smaller frontal are of the .243 makes it a better "brush bullet" because it's slightly less likely to hit any brush.

Mike
Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
Secondly, the bigger .277" bullet will not resist deflection any better than a similarly shaped .243" bullet, or any other bullet for that matter. If it hits a twig, the result bullet will be destabilized and deflected, resulting in a completely unpredictable flight path after the impact. I've had a 410 grain 50 cal bullet deflected more than 10 FEET in 25 yards after hitting a small branch. That bullet is far heavier and more stable than any spitzer rifle bullet. The reality is that the smaller frontal are of the .243 makes it a better "brush bullet" because it's slightly less likely to hit any brush.

Mike
I would like to support the above as being 100% true.

I once had a large buck 90 yards from my blind turned broadside. I was shooting a 300 WM in a rifle capable of under half inch groups. I had so much time to take the shot that I played with the magnification before the shot. The deer was standing in some brush. I picked the clearest path I could find and shot. Completely missed the deer as it stood there after the shot. There wasn't anything between me and the deer except the brush that was right next to it. So if figured it might get deflected but still hit the deer. I was wrong.

Another one. A buddy of mine who is an excellent shot took a shot at a doe at something like 30 yards. He was shooting a 270 Win. He hit a twig around the 15 yard mark and completely missed the deer. He found the path of the bullet by finding a couple of things it hit on it's way. After hitting the first twig it was way off.

No such thing as a good brush gun.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.