Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone Know Of A Good Pistol Scope ? >

Anyone Know Of A Good Pistol Scope ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone Know Of A Good Pistol Scope ?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

How do you mount those pistol scopes? Do you have to have the rib drilled and tapped? I have a Colt Trooper .357 with a 6-inch barrel and I'm thinking of putting a scope on it.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Know Of A Good Pistol Scope ?-colt_trooper_a.jpg  

Last edited by RenaissanceBiker; 10-07-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Picture
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Site Bouncer

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker
How do you mount those pistol scopes? Do you have to have the rib drilled and tapped? I have a Colt Trooper .357 with a 6-inch barrel and I'm thinking of putting a scope on it.

Some handguns come with scope mount attachment points integrated with the gun such as the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and Super Redhawk models (as well as some other ruger pistols). For others that do not come from the factory with scope mounting ability, you can either buy an aftermarket "no gunsmith" mount and install it yourself or bring your hand gun to a competent gunsmith to be drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Most will attach the mount for you as well, then all you need to do is go out and get some good rings and a scope.

Some of the "no gunsmith" mounts however are not worth the price of the packaging and you will have a hell of a time zeroing in your scope because the mount is not stable. Others seem to work fine. The only problem with going the gunsmith route is that it's permanent and in most cases will bring down the value of the gun.

If your not worried about that or if its a well used shooter quality hand gun to begin with then I'd recommend the gunsmith.

Good Luck with your hand gun hunting but beware...it's addicting!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

1+ on the Leupold 2.5-8x. I have not seen anything better.
S&W 629 Classic, 240 gr. Swift A-Frame.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

What do you think of this one? I have a $10 off coupon that will probably cover the shipping, so I can have it for about $117.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=355654