Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby >

300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby

Old 10-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have both wouldn't want to part with either one. I see about 150fps diff between the two, but partly because the RUM/700 wears a 26" tube. Both have been quite easy to load for with the RUM pushing 180NAB's over Retumbo @ 3365fps and the Roy pushing 168TTSX's over H4831 @ 3300fps.

I think it would be as simple as which platform you prefer. 700's are...well 700's, but my Vanguard cycles those big cases a bit smoother then the Rem.

A normal hunter won't shoot the barrel out of a RUM/Wby in their lifetime.

Brett
Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

correct me if im wrong but i didnt think the rum cases could be reloded. i have a buddy that has a 338 rum and his come out of the chamber very hard sometimes after firing , more often than not actually. as i do have a 300 and 340 weatherby mag and reload both of these ive never had that problem, i say its because the ultra doesnt have the belt. if thats the case you have to buy factory loads or virgin brass every time it may take alot of the cost saving on ammo out of the picture plus rem sells weatherby 300 ammo at comparable prices to the 300rum
Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The belt has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not the cartridge is reloadable. The belt really serves no purpose other than being decorative. Granted, case life, as is the case with most ultra-high pressure cartridges, is not always very long (3-5 loadings with near max loads), but it's no different than the belted Weatherby. If your friend is a handloader, and his cases are hard to extract, then he needs to back the charge down a grain or two. If it's with factory ammo, then he probably has a tighter than normal chamber. The RUM's are hot cartridges, and brass isn't going to last very long with the pressures that they run. Cost of high performance.

Mike
Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd just go with a .300 Win. Mag.,easier to find shells,a little cheaper,a little less kick,and it can do anything a 300 RUM or Weatherby mag will do,with a well placed shot.My $0.02
Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
The belt has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not the cartridge is reloadable. The belt really serves no purpose other than being decorative. Granted, case life, as is the case with most ultra-high pressure cartridges, is not always very long (3-5 loadings with near max loads), but it's no different than the belted Weatherby. If your friend is a handloader, and his cases are hard to extract, then he needs to back the charge down a grain or two. If it's with factory ammo, then he probably has a tighter than normal chamber. The RUM's are hot cartridges, and brass isn't going to last very long with the pressures that they run. Cost of high performance.

Mike
The belt does ensure proper headspacing to ensure the primer fires when struck. The Ultra mags run at a SAMMI max pressure of 65,000 PSI which several popular cases have run for decades. So pressures in the ultra does not shorten case life. I would however think the case would get hotter due to the higher capacity and that could harden the brass. Regular annealing may help case life.

I see no reason for either due to my shooting skills. 500 yards is all I will shoot and my 06 is good for anything except the big bears to that range.

If you dont reload get the Ultra because of the 3 levels of power available in the factory ammo.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The belt is totally unnecessary to ensure proper headspacing of a bottleneck cartridge.

Mike
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

would like to know if anybody else has the problem wih shells coming out hard and why they think it is drift thanks for the input i hope more people have some to offer seems pretty balanced as to what the belt does now maybe thats a whole new discussion if so ill start one later now curious
Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm definately going with the RUM. It is my favorite long range hunting round. I have also had a 338 RUM and don't think it kicks as bad as the hype, it was a real hammer at long range though. I was shooting 225gr accubonds @ 3140fps out of the 338 RUM and have been running the 168gr TSX @ 3370 out of the 300 RUM. Either load will crush a moose at any reasonable range and shoot very accurately. The 300 RUM is my go to rifle, weighing in at 8bs it is a tad on the heavy side but recoil is pretty mild consdering the power level and it is extremely accurate. Any big game animal within 600 yards is in real trouble if I have a good rest and this rifle.

Last edited by Josh Sorensen; 10-16-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

josh did you ever have issues with the 338 and cases sticking in chamber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.