Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby >

300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby

Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
I'm definately going with the RUM. It is my favorite long range hunting round. I have also had a 338 RUM and don't think it kicks as bad as the hype, it was a real hammer at long range though. I was shooting 225gr accubonds @ 3140fps out of the 338 RUM and have been running the 168gr TSX @ 3370 out of the 300 RUM. Either load will crush a moose at any reasonable range and shoot very accurately. The 300 RUM is my go to rifle, weighing in at 8bs it is a tad on the heavy side but recoil is pretty mild consdering the power level and it is extremely accurate. Any big game animal within 600 yards is in real trouble if I have a good rest and this rifle.
If I lived in AK, I would probably only have 2 rifles. One a 300RUM and two a 338 win mag. I love rifles, but they are so hard to use in MD.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

ridge runner the rifle is practically brand new other than being a few years old it was bought for a moose hunt and used for that. the last two years it gets checked in the fall and put back in the cabinet may have fired 100 rounds. guy takes very good care of it cleans thouroughly every time and only shoots factory ammo, im not a gunsmith but ive inspected the barrell /chamber myself with a borescope as well as by eye and can see no visible problems. maybe could measure chamber somehow but never have hes kindoff discouraged with it as he spend alot of money for it and the dealer told him it was normal with that size rifle, makes it worse that my weatherby 340 does not do it
nobody else we know has that rifle so nothing to compare to either
Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

sticky extraxtion i would call it have to really reef back on bolt to remove empty case from chamber emty case does usually have scratches on it after they are on the side of the fat part of the case no pattern to them never the same on two seems to be all the way around though chamber is as clean as can be