Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
spreader loads... >

spreader loads...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

spreader loads...

Old 09-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default spreader loads...

so i stumbled upon "spreader" shotgun loads....

sounds like they are made to throw a loose pattern and open quickly...

i have a winchester model 50 i want to use for grouse and upland bird hunting this season, but it has a full choked barrel that patterns better than some guys turkey guns...if i hit a grouse with it, its going to be a poof of feathers...IF i could hit one lol...

i dont wanna have the barrel drilled out and tapped for chokes because i want to keep the gun original...its a 1958 m50 in good original condition...

i am searching for another barrel for it to either have drilled and tapped for chokes, or buy an IC or mod barrel to hunt with and keep the original full as it is...

anyone have expirience with the "spreader" loads??? will they work well for grouse/rabbit hunting?? 10-25 or 30yd shots?? the gun patterns much to tight to bother trying it as it is....

figured id see if anyone used them before i ordered some...
Old 09-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to load my own, they work great. For the 12 gauge I would only put in 7/8 oz of shot and I'd take up the extra space above the shot with a ball of fishing line. Using a larger size shot will also put less pellets on the target. I've even hunted rabbits in thick brush with #4 buckshot, that way you only hit him with 3 or 4 pellets that aren't much larger than using a .22.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

You are on the right track. I have loaded them for years, and yes they would definitely open up the pattern on your full choke shotgun. There are several different wads designed to do this. Ballistic Products has an X wad and I believe another form of spreader wad available. I have used and prefer the insert from poly wad. If you don't reload then I believe Poly Wad sells loaded ammunition. Good Luck
Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys! sounds like i aughta order a box or 2 and see what they do for me!...sounds like they might be the ticket...being a 30" full choked bore, she throws a mighty tight pattern...im REALLY itchin to take her to a "turkey shoot" as with "fine" shot it patterned VERY VERY well...

im just looking to hunt upland birds with it without missing or blowing birds to pieces...and dont wanna ruin an original winchester...sounds like spreaders might be the way to go...