Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need .22LR bullet advice >

Need .22LR bullet advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need .22LR bullet advice

Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Need .22LR bullet advice

I just got back from purchasing a Marlin 60 .22LR. Now I just need to get some bullets for it. What's a good .22LR bullet that has good accuracy, good power, and good distance. I'm looking at trying to sight it in at 100 yards so I can engage targets out to that range if I need to. I primarily bought this rifle to be my daughters first but I'm going to use it for armadillo and coon control until she's ready. I'm farely new to rimfire rifles so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone happens to know of a good set of scope rings for this rifle, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even with .22s the bullets used make a big difference...
You need to try several brands and use them...As a rule I don't get the best acccuracy out of the Stingers, etc...If I had one brand, I'd go with CCI Mini-Mags simply because that's what my Remington 541 and Ruger Mark II prefer...Now, my Remington 552 prefers the CCI shorts or Green Tags...

I'd pick up 3-4 different brands and give her a workout...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Even with .22s the bullets used make a big difference...
You need to try several brands and use them...As a rule I don't get the best acccuracy out of the Stingers, etc...If I had one brand, I'd go with CCI Mini-Mags simply because that's what my Remington 541 and Ruger Mark II prefer...Now, my Remington 552 prefers the CCI shorts or Green Tags...

I'd pick up 3-4 different brands and give her a workout...

Exactly. I've got several .22's, and they all for the most part, like different ammo. Also, I feel 100 yds. is a bit of a stretch for a .22.... but go ahead and try it and see what happens. I would also recommend you put some decent glass on the rifle.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, I'll try some different ammo. If I do end up putting a scope on it I plan to install a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire. I looked last night and it comes with rings designed for grooved receivers.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking at trying to sight it in at 100 yards so I can engage targets out to that range if I need to.
So are you going to seek out, close with, and destroy the armadillos by fire and maneuver, or are you going to set up a hasty ambush and wait for them to enter the kill zone?! LOL

If I had any doubts about you being a fellow Marine, they're gone now! You're a 100%, dyed-in-the-wool, leatherneck. Semper fi, bro.

Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

A .22 bullet drops quite a bit at 100 yards. If you sight in at 100 yards you will be way high on small animals if they are closer than 50 yards. At 100 yards even the most accurate of .22's won't group too great in comparison to what it can at 50 yards. In my thinking a .22 is really not very effective past 75 yards max.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Marlin bolt gun- it isn't too picky about ammo, except it doesn't like the hyper-velocity stuff. I've got the best accuracy with Winchester Power Points (40 grain) and CCI Subsonic ammo. I use the subsonic stuff for pest control at close range when I need to be quieter, and it has worked very well for me, even for large varmits like groundhogs. However, you're not going to shoot 100 yards with it- 70 yards max.

The Power Points perform very well on game too, and have a bit more oompf. Even with these though, I've found that 100 yards is pushing it. Not because of lack of energy, but because of trajectory. It starts to drop off so much by then that you almost need a Mil-dot scope and a rangefinder. I usually sight in at 50 yards, then I'm only 1 or 2 inches low at 75 yards. After that, the drop just gets to be too much.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few different 22's and one of them is a Marlin mdl 60 like the one that you are getting. If you sight it in at 50 yards that will put the gun in a good position to hit at 25-75 yards and only be about an inch high at 25 and only about 2 inches low at 75. But try hitting at 100 and you will be about 4-5 inches low. As for ammo, if you want pure accuracy then it will cost you. But if you want a descent bullet at a descent price my mdl 60 likes the Federals and Winchester and sometimes the Remingtons but they seem to have more misfires. You will like your mdl 60 though, its a good all around gun and is pretty reliable to boot.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like the rest have already said I think 100 yards is pushing the .22 LR.JMHO which don't mean much.If you have to engage the hostile @ 100 yards .You might want to go ahead and spring for a .22 mag. or maybe one of them new fangled hot shot .17 things.....LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
So are you going to seek out, close with, and destroy the armadillos by fire and maneuver, or are you going to set up a hasty ambush and wait for them to enter the kill zone?! LOL

If I had any doubts about you being a fellow Marine, they're gone now! You're a 100%, dyed-in-the-wool, leatherneck. Semper fi, bro.

Mike
Don't forget.... And to repell the armadillo's assault by fire and close combat. HAHA!

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm pretty much institutionalized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.