Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats a good hunting rifle? >

Whats a good hunting rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats a good hunting rifle?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default Whats a good hunting rifle?

I own a 14 acre property that has plenty of wild turkeys and deer and I've always wanted to get into hunting. I'm not sure if I should be looking into getting a shotgun or a rifle. I'd prefer a rifle because imo it's better to get a long range gun to shoot close range than a close range gun to shoot long range. Is the Mossberg 702 plinkster any good? Some stores have it around here for only $150 and I'm really not trying to spend more then $250 on a rifle. I'd like the rifle to have enough stopping to kill a deer in one good shot and I'd like it so I wouldn't have to reload after every shot (I know this is pretty unsportsmanship like but I'm going to be using this rifle for target practicing too). So maybe a semi automatic (the mossberg is like that).

EDIT: Also something that isn't TOO loud.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Spike

Also what about a marlin model 60?

I should mention that the deer are mostly small.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

1st things 1st, you're really trying to do too much with too little.

The Mossberg 702 is a 22LR and not suitable for hunting either deer or turkeys.
Deer and turkey are best hunted with a centerfire rifle and shotgun respectively.

Your budget is way too small to purchase a semi-auto anything that is adequate for deer and turkey.

The 1st shot is the one that counts, the more shots you take the less likely you are to tag anything. IMO the best you can do is purchase either a NEF new singleshot 12ga shotgun or look for a used pump shotgun in good condition, use #4's for turkey and slugs for deer. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE some more.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

No 22LR's for deer and turkey hunting.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by popeye2
1st things 1st, you're really trying to do too much with too little.

The Mossberg 702 is a 22LR and not suitable for hunting either deer or turkeys.
Deer and turkey are best hunted with a centerfire rifle and shotgun respectively.

Your budget is way too small to purchase a semi-auto anything that is adequate for deer and turkey.

The 1st shot is the one that counts, the more shots you take the less likely you are to tag anything. IMO the best you can do is purchase either a NEF new singleshot 12ga shotgun or look for a used pump shotgun in good condition, use #4's for turkey and slugs for deer. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE some more.

Could you reccomend a good 12 ga?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

go to your local gun shop and tell them what you need . sounds to me like a over/under rifle /shotgun would work great for you. your price range may not work.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Spike

a .243 is light shooting and can bring a deer down . i would get a bolt action , not much kick and it's fast .
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

If you truly want to a rifle for deer hunting and a shotgun for turkeys buy a Rossi combo pkg. You can get a 12 Gauge, .243, and .50 cal muzzleloader. One gun stock and 3 interchangable barrels- under $300.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only think I can think of in your price range to do what you want to do is a muzzloader. You can find them used. You can turn a muzzloader into a shotgun and you can shoot 200 yards with a muzzloader using good bullets and calibrating the charge. Muzzloaders are also quieter than rifles.

If you don't like the muzzloader idea then I'd save pennies till you have about $500. Don't forget about the cost of ammo. The ammo may cost you more than the gun in short order.

I like the suggestion of a .243 win. Good cartridge.

Tom
Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by statjunk
You can turn a muzzloader into a shotgun and you can shoot 200 yards with a muzzloader using good bullets and calibrating the charge.

Tom
I like the MZ idea but IMO a MZ with two barrels would be well over his target price range and a little too complicated since the OP is obvisiously new to firearms and hunting,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.