Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats a good hunting rifle?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't own a 12 gauge, you NEED one FIRST !!!

It can take everything from doves to deer.

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he's new to huntin,i think he should buy the Mossberg 22LR,and practice up,and start small,squirrels-rabbits-crows.Then later on he can buy a shotgun and a center-fire rifle for deer and turkeys.The 22 is WAY to small for deer hunting,and i wouldn't go under a .243 for deer.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
If you don't onw a 12 gauge, you NEED one FIRST !!!
I've got to agree. Need to learn how to handle a gun and how to become a safe hunter before starting with muzzleloaders or combo guns. I'd recommend getting a Mossberg 500 or Maverick pump 12 gauge. Walmart usually has the Mossberg for about $250 and the Maverick for about $200. With a set of fiber optic sights clamped to the vent rib you'll have a 75 yard slug gun for deer, and with an extra full choke you'll have your turkey gun.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Spike

Thanks guys I really appreciate everyones help. I decided to up my budget a bit and I took the .243 into high consideration. Could you please give me your opinion on the marlin model xs7 in the .243 caliber?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know about the XL7,mine is a Rem.700 topped with a Leupold 3x9x40 and i LOVE IT.You better start saving ur money now,cause its about a $800 rig,but to me it was worth every penny.1st year of deer huntin(last year),killed 2 deer(one was a 13 point)and a bobcat.Good rifle,but it's expensive!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know where your from(I'm in Alabama),but for turkeys u cannot use a rifle. you can only use a shotgun or bow only.Check your game laws.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get a Savage in .243 or a Marlin XL7 if it was me if I was on a budget. The Remington 700 is a good gun but my personal preference is to prefer the Savage and Marlin. For a decent scope you could just get a decent Simmons until you could upgrade later on. Or go ahead and get something like a Burris Fullfield II or something like that but it will cost more now.

I have a Fullfield II and it's by far my favorite scope I've used. I also have a Leupold VX-I 3x9x40mm and it's the most expensive scope I have as well as my least favorite one. It's the only one I've had to send in for repair. To be honest I've used 2 $30 Tasco's from Wal-Mart and both have been decent. I honestly had better luck with them than I did the Leupold.

I don't think there is anything wrong in going with a cheaper scope until you can afford to upgrade to something nicer. Simmons has some pretty decent scopes out there for under $100 as does Bushnell. Although, aren't they both technically the same company now?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
I don't know where your from(I'm in Alabama),but for turkeys u cannot use a rifle. you can only use a shotgun or bow only.Check your game laws.
I live in NJ but I own my own land so I dunno if that rule (if we even have it) would apply to me.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

NJ was shotgun only when I lived in the state.