Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Recommendation on 22 Pistol >

Need Recommendation on 22 Pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Recommendation on 22 Pistol

Old 05-13-2003, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need Recommendation on 22 Pistol

Want a 22 pistol for plinking, squirells, armadillos, etc. I bought a 22 ruger rifle which is great, but a bit less convenient to have with me on a regular basis. I don' t mind getting a used pistol, as I don' t want to spend a lot of money. Not sure how much something like this will cost, but i remember taking a peak at them in bass pro and was surprised how expensive a 22 pistol was. Didn' t pay much attention at the time, so maybe there was something special about this particular one.

Any suggestions/ est prices, etc.

thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Recommendation on 22 Pistol

I have a S&W Model 22A-1. It' s a semi-auto 22, and it' s more accurate than I am. It has a 4X Simmons on top, and at 50 yds (off sandbags) it will nearly cut holes.

It' s a heck of a squirrel gun...and the entire thing was $325...scope and all. AND it had a second barrel with it. I believe the unscoped barrel is 4 1/2" and the scoped barrel is 6 1/2" .

It' s one investment I wish I' d made years earlier.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:19 AM

Ruger makes a real nice 9 shot revolver .22 pistol that you should be able to get pretty reasonable. If you want to spend a little more Browning has a good line of pistols. I own a Walther and I love it. It' s super accurate and really light. It' s kinda expensive though, but check them out.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve got a 6" bbl stainless Ruger MKII, absolutely love it. It' s really accurate as far as pistols go, they offer it in a target and heavy bbl model that are even moreso, but for what I need mine for, mine' s more than accurate enough. I paid $50 for mine, in near new condition, I bought it from a buddy of mine got in BIG trouble with his wife for bringing home a new gun, so she said he had to get rid of one to keep it, so he just sold me one of his .22 pistols to appease the little woman (who spoke loudly and carried a bigger stick). I' ve only had mine jam once, and that was when I stuck it into a hole we had ran a coon into in a chimney and the bolt hit the bottom of the hole so it didn' t cycle fully, cleared in an instant, and like I said, that' s been the only hiccup.

Just remember though, pistols of any kind are loud, wear plugs or muffs at least even with just a .22lr.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 PM

There are more refined pistols out there, but for the money you can' t beat the Ruger Mk II' s. My scoped slabsided Mk II makes a super small game rig.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:53 PM

I just have to through my hat in for the Ruger MKII. Your not going to do better for the money. I' ve had a few MKII' s as well as a coulpe of Browning Buckmarks. I still have the Rugers.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the Ruger MKII. Great gun at a reasonable price.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Ruger MKII. Definately not the prettiest .22 out there but super accurate and fairly well priced. I' ve had mine for 13 years and never had a minutes trouble out of it. Only thing I' ve added to mine is a set of Pachmyer grips. The Browning Buckmark is a mighty fine .22 also but has a little higher price tag. Either way you should be happy.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

I priced the Ruger MKII in Fl and it was $239 for the std, blued model with a 4 inch barrel. The polymer/plastic version is $10 less. Is this about right?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

If I remember right I paid about $160 for mine. It' s the standard blued model but has a 6" barrel. That was in 1990. The price on them has gone up quite a bit since then but $239 does sound close. Never shot the polymer model but I don' t like the looks of it.

Quick Reply: Need Recommendation on 22 Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.