Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope mounts for a 760? >

scope mounts for a 760?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope mounts for a 760?

Old 05-12-2003, 03:21 PM

Default scope mounts for a 760?

Wife bought me an bushnell elite 3200 2x7 at x-mas. Great gift had nothing to go under it though!

On the weekend I came across something to put under it! I found a VERY lightly used, early 70' s, rem 760 in 308. I fired off 10 rounds and cut a golf ball in the paper at 50 yards with open sights,, good enough for me I' ll take it!!!

The property I hunt can be anything from pastures with a maximum 250 yard shot,, to cedar swamp, to cattail swamp edges where the shots will be as little as 30-40 yards. Very little driving, mostly stand hunting or still hunting.

Im trying to decide on the scope mounts. Do I want those see through mounts, or just the normal mounts??

Ive talked to a couple people and they say get the see through mounts " I have them on mine" . When I ask how many times have they have actually needed them,, the reply all 3 times has been, " NEVER!" Now I want to know, should I get the normal mounts and look through the scope naturally,, or do I want those see-through mountsd and hold me head in an unnatural position just for that one time when maybe I needed the iron sights?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:26 PM

Default RE: scope mounts for a 760?

I personally would go with the normal mounts. I am not a big fan of the see-thru mounts for 2 reasons, one, it brings your head off the stock and your anchor point on the stock is not consistent. Second, the possibilitiy of the mounts torquing making the scope unaccurate.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
Old 05-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is go with a normal base and rings.The " See Thru" are garbage. They are made of Aluminum Extrusions.The slightest bump will knock the scope out.One gunsmith friend has a wall full of them hanging up from customers having them taken off their rifles.Buy a quality base and rings . It' s not worth skimping when it comes to scopes,bases and rings.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Ruger...he knoweth of what he speaketh...The see-through mounts are a joke. The height puts them even further from the " center" of the barrel. The closer the crosshairs to the barrel, the more accurate the gun at all ranges.

Like RR said, the fact that the mounts are higher make them more " flimsy" . More room for error.

The mouns also make you hold your head at a funny angle when looking through the scope.

Plus, what are the odds of having time to think which to use. Just use the scope...

I have a Rem 760 Gamemaster in .270. You made an excellent decision. Mine won' t shoot 1/2" groups...but that' s not what it' s for. It' ll bang out 2" groups at 100 with ANY ammo.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with normal mounts. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking from experience go with the normal mounts. I and many friends had them on a rifle or two years back and they have all been replaced with standard mounts. In my case i had them on a 3030 bush gun and 308 7600 Pump, both guns actually came with the mounts. I thought they were the ticket, but my POI was always shifting and they quickly found the garbage.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 PM

I really dont like the idea of using them. I shoulderred a 7600 with them on it and I definitely noticed lifting my head off the stock. I figure it will be set on 2x so tight quarters it shouldnt be a big deal? Anyone have suggestions on a brand of mounts for this particular gun.

thanks.

Pro-line,, I did have a 760 in .308, did a foolish thing and sold it a couple years ago.

Got lucky and found one that is identical of what I had.. This one is in much nicer shape though. I gave him the $200cdn, what he paid for it in the 70' s. He even gave me the last 10 bullets and the used brass from the 2 boxes of ammo he bought for it!

Got to love those old guys who go to camp, and never set foot past the back porch!
Old 05-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-15-2003, 03:56 AM

don' t buy the see-thru ! they are nothing but trouble. had problems when i had them on my rem 700 ADL. took them off and got better groups plus i had to raise my cheek off the stock in a weird angle.
for mounts go with a leupold single piece base.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Swamp I have 7600 with a B&L 3000 3 x 9 and weavers on that hasn' t provide me with a minutes worth of trouble.