Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.300 Win. Mag. VS. .300 Ultra Mag. RECOIL??? >

.300 Win. Mag. VS. .300 Ultra Mag. RECOIL???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 Win. Mag. VS. .300 Ultra Mag. RECOIL???

Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default .300 Win. Mag. VS. .300 Ultra Mag. RECOIL???

Looking at adding a .30 caliber magnum.....just because.

From the folks who have experience with both, about how much difference in felt recoil do you see in a .300 Winny and the .300 Ultra Mag?

Lets say we're shooting 180gr. factory load in each. I'm very comfortable shooting rifles in the 06' and 7mm. Rem. Mag. class. In fact I shoot them all day and enjoy it. I'm expecting a noticable increase in shoulder thump with either.....just wondering about how much difference to expect between the 2 .30 cal magnums.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Um a lot of that will depend on the gun too. Both will kick more then 06 or 7mm but if you use a heavier gun with a wood stock as opposed to a light gun with a synthetic stock you are going to get different results. The lighter the gun, the more the kick typically. I shoot a .300WSM, with a stainless barrel and a extremely light synthetic stock, it kicks like a mule as my friends say. I am used to it so it does not bother me one bit. Its my pack rifle so the trade off is lighter gun more kick, but less weight on my back when im walking 10 to 15 miles a day. I have shot both the 300 win and ultra and i can honestly say i did notice much of a difference, maybe the ultra had a little bit more kick, however both guns were from different manufactors so its hard to say.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have experience with either, but, if I was going to pick one, I'd go with the RUM, since it's available with factory loads to different power levels. i.e. .30-06/.300 Win Mag/ and full power .300 RUM...

For comparison purposes, I think the chart at Chuck Hawk's site makes for a good starting point. On the various rifles I've shot, felt recoil seems to about match the differences he shows on the chart...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to say it depends on the rifle/stock/etc..

My .340wby whether shooting 200-275grs kicks less than my .300 win mag shooting 180grs and thats with a muzzle break vs. without one on the wby!

300 win mag
browning a bolt
wood stock
muzzle break
thin solid rubber recoil pad

340wby
synthetic stock
pachmayr recoil pad
no muzzle break

the 300 RUM does hold/burn more powder though to get the same velocities as a .300wby...least by factory loads...more powder more kick is a pretty general theory...

my .270 is a puppy in terms of recoil compared to my .300win mag, not sure how much diff a '06 or 7mmrem mag would be...

off a bench neither of my mags is fun to shoot, shooting more than a box of ammo is annoying, in the field though who notices any kick ever? especially standing...

If you have a 7mm Rem.Mag. already I think I'd want something more than a .300win.mag. too close IMO...

I'd start at the .300wby or RUM and think about even a .338win mag or .340wby, or even .338rum though I hear that kick is particually brutal...like a .378wby...
Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having fired both extensively,there is a very noticeable difference between the two cartridges in similar rifles.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Stubble...there is a noticeable difference between the two...the 300UM is a big banger to say the least..it will knock the socks off the game and the shooter!!! I myself find it way too much for the average Joe hunter that shoots a few times per year...stick with a /06 or a 7mm something, much more confortable..a will placed bullet at 2700 fps is better than a miss at 3300 fps...I have a model 7 stainless synthetic in .300 SAUM that because of it's weight is about as bad as it can get...I wonder if they still make that little killer machine..buy one of them and take the full recoil a few times off the bench...nasty little rifle..
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my personal observations the .300 Win mag is the threshold that most adult shooters can tolerate with regard to recoil. I grew up shooting one, I have no desire to own an RUM because it doesn't do anything for me the Win doesn't do. Way over priced ammo, short barrel life and excessive recoil top the list for me.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
In my personal observations the .300 Win mag is the threshold that most adult shooters can tolerate with regard to recoil. I grew up shooting one, I have no desire to own an RUM because it doesn't do anything for me the Win doesn't do. Way over priced ammo, short barrel life and excessive recoil top the list for me.
This is exactly why I shoot a 300WM. Now if you don't mine brakes (which I hate) anything is possible.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot the 300RUM a fair bit and IMHO my 338wm feels less, not in thrust or push but rather in sharpness of recoil. The 300wm is certainly less then both of these.

The RUM as a factory ammo shooter is wasted abilities, JMO but like other wildcats benefits greatly from reloading. The 300wm is better suited for an OTC ammo shooter. If you want more power then the 300wm, add the 338wm to the consideration list.

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

Only one ive shot was a mod 700 BDL deluxe and it kicked like a mule! Alot hardder than a 300mag. I only hunt deer in the eastern woods and fields sometimes and my 7mm is all I need. I like to shoot big guns just to shoot big guns but Id just as soon have my 6.6x55 as I would anything when Im hunting. I shot a 416 rigby in an encore and one shot from that was enough for me