Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin XL7 experience? >

Marlin XL7 experience?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin XL7 experience?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Marlin XL7 experience?

Do any of you folks own the new Marlin XL7 bolt gun? I have read some positive reviews in the gun rags, but you know how that goes...What I am looking for is some real-world reveiws by actual owners. Most "economy" models I have examined are somewhat cheesey and I guess that explains the price. For around $300 what do you get with that new Marlin? Thanks...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm interested in the same thing. I'm looking for a 7mm-08. The local stores don't have the XS-7 in 7mm-08, yet. But, Academy has a 700ADL for $439 in 7mm-08 that I could get today, and Remington's got a $40.00 rebate offer right now. So, do I wait and buy an XS-7, if and when they get one, for $299? Or, 700ADL for $399?

Note that I've already got ADL's in .243 and .30-06, and am quite pleased with their reliability and accuracy, and a BDL in 7mm Rem Mag (which I use MR rounds in, so, it's already the functional equivalent of a 7mm-08, so, do I REALLY need one...). Do I want another ADL when I've already got two, or should I add something different to the collection...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

You may have to wait a bit but save $100 and go with the XS7 and add variety to your collection. You will not be disappointed as this gun will hold up to the ADL. I have the XL7 in 25-06 and I shot 1-1.25" groups at 100 yards using factory ammo. I worked up some H4831 reloads and am now shooting just over 0.5" groups. I would love to get a 7mm-08 however I have a .270 and the ballistics are quite close. Send pics whatever you decide.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rozman62
You may have to wait a bit but save $100 and go with the XS7 and add variety to your collection. You will not be disappointed as this gun will hold up to the ADL. I have the XL7 in 25-06 and I shot 1-1.25" groups at 100 yards using factory ammo. I worked up some H4831 reloads and am now shooting just over 0.5" groups. I would love to get a 7mm-08 however I have a .270 and the ballistics are quite close. Send pics whatever you decide.

Too late... I had the itch, and scratched it. Went out on Saturday and bought my wife a bunch of new furniture Told her that, in exchange, I got to buy myself a new rifle... Bought the Remmy 700 ADL at the local Academy, which was conveniently located on the way home from the furniture store....

On Sunday, I took it up to Carter's Country to have them mount the scope (a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12X40) and bore sight it (previously had a bad experience with a sales clerk at Academy trying to mount one...). Of course, there on the shelf at Carter's was a Marlin XS-7 in 7mm-08... May have to buy that one for my son...