Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinion on Gun price >

Opinion on Gun price

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinion on Gun price

Old 08-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opinion on Gun price

Hi, i am going to be trading in or selling a gun to buy a bow pretty soon and i was wondering if i could get some opinions on what the gun is worth. It is a weatherby vanguard 22-250, i bought it in march 09 and only put a box of shells through it and haven't used it since. It is in excellent condition no scratches anywhere, also it has a simmons master series 4x12x40 scope with parallax adjustment on it. Also i have the original box, manual, trigger lock, and even the proof target it came with, will any of that stuff help with the price? Here are some pics
Opinion on Gun price-gun2.jpg
Opinion on Gun price-gun1.jpg

Thanks - Mike
Old 08-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on trading it in to a gun/archery dealer for the bow, expect to take a beating on the price. I doubt that you'll get more $300 in the trade, maybe a little more if it's the Sub-MOA Vanguard. The Simmons scope isn't going to help up the price much if at all. If you like the scope, I'd suggest you take it off and trade the gun without a scope because you'll probably get the same amount. Simmons scopes really have no resale value, to be perfectly honest.

Your best bet would be to put the gun up either in the "Guns Classifieds" forum here (you can find it on the main forum page by scrolling down), or up on a gun auction site like gunbroker.com. I'd imagine that if you put it up an found a private buyer, you'll probably be able to reasonably get $375. I just looked at GalleryofGuns.com, which is Davidson's website (they are a major gun distributor), and they quoted me anywhere from $408.10 to $450.95 depending on which local dealer they were quoting for, for brand new Wby Vanguard blue/synthetic.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 08-08-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the scope and use it as a back up or for another gun cause you wont get much for it. I think you could probably get 375$ on gun broker for it, if you clean it up real good and put it back in the original box. Take some good pics of it, and list it as LNIB (like new in box)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

So it wont really matter to a gun shop if it is in the box with the other stuff, but if im selling it to a private buyer it will help?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't hurt, but it won't help that much either. The gun shop owner/clerk will probably look up the value in his gun "blue book," or just know the approximate value from memory. He's thinking about how much he can sell it for as a used gun in the condition it's in, and what his costs vs profit will be. If he thinks he can sell it fast, he'll probably pay a little more. If he thinks (or knows) that it'll sit on the shelf for a long time and he'll be lucky to sell it for more than he'd have to give you in trade, he probably won't give you as much. The best you can do is take it in a see what he'll give you for it. I'd be sure to mention that you have the box, manuals and all included accessories that the gun came with. Generally speaking, trading is far easier for the seller, but you're going to get hosed on the value because the gun shop has to make a profit. If the gun will sell for $375, whether you sell it yourself or they take it in trade and resell, then they are going to give you less than that for sure. If I were you I'd try posting it up in the classifieds here. Give it a week or two and see if you can find a buyer. If not, then you can trade it for whatever you can get from a gun dealer.

To be honest, if I had the cash right now, I'd buy it from you. I am in need of another .22-250, and I wouldn't mind having a Vanguard at all. My wife still hasn't forgiven me for buying my last rifle!

Mike
Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks driftrider for the info, i have never sold a gun over the internet so i will have to look up some information about the legal stuff. I know you cant just send a gun to someones house i think you need a gun shop as a go between. But once i figure everything out i will think about posting it in the classifieds, but if anyone reading this thread is interested private message me and mabey we can work something out.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

The gun shop is going to see what he can buy it new from a distributor or direct (which I just looked up) and offer 20 - 30% below that so he can make a profit. In other words, to a dealer the rifle is worth about $110 - $150. Maybe a little more with the mounted scope, about $200.

Being that it isn't a collectible rifle the box and stuff means nothing to a dealer. If you are selling private it may help some but most of that stuff gets thrown away any how. To me it would mean nothing in a private sell / purchase.

In a private transaction it would be worth about $350 - $400 as it sits.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

These guys are right. Id either sell it online or local classified or keep it and save up the extra money. You lose money either way you go selling a used gun and youll be out of a gun also!