Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
X-Bolt or Model 70 >

X-Bolt or Model 70

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

X-Bolt or Model 70

Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default X-Bolt or Model 70

Looking for son's 1st big game rifle. Have decided on a .308 in either X-Bolt or the new Model 70. Anyone experienced w/either rifle at the range or in the field?

Will be used for both deer & elk.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

You didnt say how old he was but I have both in 270 so I can give you some ideas. the X-bolt is a dream but light under 7 pound and depending on his age may kick a bit much, the M70 is aobut 1.5 # heavier, I love hte new model 70 but let me suggest depending on his age one of the savage rifles in 308, the stainless models are little over 7 points, accurate and a steal for the price, I also like the Marlin XL rifle, in 308 with a scope you unde$400 and they are tack drivers.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I like them both as far as looks go. Never shot an X-bolt but owned an a-bolt and it was a very good rifle. I own a pre 64 model 70 and its an awesome rifle but Ive never shot the modern mod 70s. Dont let ne one talk you out of the 308 though. Its a great deer round. Its basically a short 30-06 and has virtually the same power up to 180gr bullets.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Spike

I also own an X-bolt in .270 and while I haven't shot the new model 70 I wouldn't hesitate recommending the X-bolt in .308. The new recoil pad on these rifles should tame that kick just fine.