Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Zeiss

Old 05-23-2003, 02:02 PM

Default RE: Zeiss

No pissing contest from me either. I suppose you wanted to start one when you asked if I used the tube to set the rings. Like anybody that buys a $400 scope would do that?

I don' t dislike Leupold at all. In fact I have MORE Leupold' s than all other brands combined. However, they are in fact far from the only game in town for midpriced optics anymore. They can and do break also. You have been extremely fortunate if you have used 100 of them in harsh conditions with nary a failure. I am glad you are happy with your Leupold' s. I am happy with my Leupolds, Elite 4200s, and Zeiss scopes too.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Woodseye, Oooooh I touched a raw nerve not having a nice day I guess...Guess i can' t voice my opinion and go against Zeiss' s main cheerleader. How bout this little fact I happen to own one buddy boy and have owned more of their 1" and 30 mm tubes than I care to think about. I for one don' t see this big deal about it over a Leupold pure and simple. Having a Leupold on my rifle has not ever cost me one big game animal and having a Zeiss,Swarovski,Schmidt and Bender ever gained me an animal. I think the Zeiss will be slightly better in twilight especially with aging eyes and thats why it is slated for eastern whitetail hunting and the comparism ends there. Goodness Gracious Zeiss does not even make a 1.5 x 6 anything ? They make 3 usable 1" tube scopes. The 30mm models are better but who wants to spend 1400 dollars on a scope that is only marginally better. I could care less what a retailer says about so and so product , they are in it for the money ...the real test starts and ends with those that use them and what gets mounted on the finest rifles. No custom gunsmith worth his salt is going to put a failure prone scope on a very expensive rifle and then have to hear a client gripe about it. As for retailers they could care less about what they sell and please don' t tell me otherwise. Etched crosshairs my ..... You drop names and try to impress me I won' t stoop to your level and do likewise. You have been around at other sites and heard what other Gunmakers, Gunwriters and other experienced individuals have said about this subject. It needs no repeating here. No scope is beyond failure, I just haven' t had one(Leupold) go south and I have owned pretty darn close to or maybe over 100 of these puppies in all configs... As far as Tascos go I have seen some that can take unbelievable recoil and others that don' t work after a 222 fires off under them. GTBuzz I have seen more people turn scopes in their rings then you have hair on your head I can guarantee that. Since I don' t know you I just brought it up as a potential cause of your problem.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the feedback, even the " pissing-match" stuff. Guess everyone has their opinion on what is the best. Not trying to start up a heated debate, just looking for hands-on experience from the experienced members here. Good to know so many of you have first hand knowledge about a lot of this stuff. I haven' t been hunting that long (only 20+ years) but I do read a lot and talk to a lot of people about hunting and shooting and I' m like a spongue, I just drink up all the info I can.

BTW, I' m waiting for my 4.5-14x44 Conquest to arrive any day from D&R. Wish they' d sent me tracking numbers but I can wait for it to arrive (soon I hope).

Everyone have a safe and fun 3-day Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned several of each-leupold,ziess and swarovski.I have had no failures with any of them but I have no doubt that the ziess and swarovski' s are brighter at the first and last few minutes of legal hunting.Since that is when I tend to find the biggest bucks,I want every advantage that I can get at a reasonable price.If a brighter scope gets me one more trophy in my career it will have been worth it.I have hesitated and lost an opportunity or two in the past because I was not totally confident due to light conditions (it was during legal hunting hours)and I am hoping that the bit of extra light transmission that the swarovski' s give me prevents this from happening again.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:13 AM

Nah no raw nerves,you just threw some fuel on the fire and got some more warmth thats all.I don' t " throw names around" to impress, I gave you people to call if you want to verify Conquests failure record.I' d sooner have an etched reticle over a wire one that flexes and weighs more and don' t always stay black in reflected light.I' ll ignore your posts if you like when you want to start pissing matches,that way you can state your opinions with no differing opinions No pissing matches for me just facts that I invite you to disprove.[&:]

I think the Zeiss will be slightly better in twilight especially with aging eyes and thats why it is slated for eastern whitetail hunting and the comparism ends there.

You really state the case for Conquest quite well and I agree with you 100%.Twilight is when I see the most mature bucks also.

woods