Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun or rifle behind the truck seat. >

shotgun or rifle behind the truck seat.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun or rifle behind the truck seat.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shotgun or rifle behind the truck seat.

I got a question what is the law about having a gone behind the truck seat. I was told a shotgun or rifle behind your seat loaded or unloaded was a concealed weapon in indiana. Does a pistol grip or mag size effect this.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shotgun or rifle behind the truck seat.

I know that in some states that a rifle or shotgun behind the seat not in a case is considered a concealed weapon,any way here in Nebr it is.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best answer to that would be to call the state envolved and ask them direct . I would hate to base my freedom on some good old boys opinion .
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on the state.
In NY its illegal to have it loaded. I am 99% sure unloaded isn't a problem.

Some states consider your vehicle as an extension of your home and its perfectly legal to carry it loaded.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

In Kansas, it is unlawful to have a chambered round in a firearm in a motor vehicle.A full magazine isn't considered loaded as long as the chamber is empty. As far as concealed behind the seat, it would have to be in a case to be considered legal. Without a case behind the seat or under the seat is concealed. I usually have my guns in my front seat in the middle while driving to hunt without a case.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice would be to contact a knowledgeable law enforcement officer or criminal lawyer and ask. The state police is usually a good place to start. There are 50+ possible answers to your question depending on what state, and even what municipality you might be in. Better to get it from a source that knows the law where you are.

Mike

Old 07-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Spike

i keep a 10/22 ruger in my farm truck year round. but i live in an agricultural area. the few times i've been stopped by the sheriff or state troopers they don't mention the rifle next to me. but they do ask if i have a concealed weapon as they see i have a cw permit when they run my plates. were i you, i'd certainly contact my LOCAL and STATE police agencies and ask about local/state laws.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are 50+ possible answers to your question
That is correct. Here in Arizona, either is considered a concealed weapon if they are loaded. So you either get a CCW, not a big deal here, or you drive with your weapons unloaded, ammo in one conatiner the weapon in another seperate container.

But like others have mentioned, call the police and ask them.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Stickey Laws.
In Texas, any wepon loaded as long as it is covered up is OK. Unless you get a Police Officer that is had a bad day. Could stillspoil your plans for a while. Better to have your CCL
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You also have to be careful about whether your state has a "preemption" law. Preemption in legal terms means that the state law trumps all county and municipal laws, such that no municipality can put into place an ordinance that is stricter than the state statute. In some places state law might say that a loaded but visible gun is legal, but without preemption a city could have an ordinance that says it's not and you could get arrested. Illinois is a good example. It is legal to possess a handgun in Illinois in your home, unless you live in Chicago and many of the surrounding 'burbs because they have city ordinances that prohibit all possession of handguns, anywhere. Illinois doesn't have preemption so these ordinances stand. Iowa, on the other hand, does have preemption, and possessing a handgun in the home is legal in Iowa, so it's legal in every place in Iowa and there isn't a damn thing a city council can do about it.

Mike