Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How often do you actually shoot your gun(s)? >

How often do you actually shoot your gun(s)?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How often do you actually shoot your gun(s)?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How often do you actually shoot your gun(s)?

I said every 6 months, though this might not be entirely accurate. I'll begin shooting my big game rifles in September or October to get them sighted in and checked before at least one of October Elk or Pronghorn hunting seasons and November Deer hunting seasons. I'll begin shooting my shotgun with Duck season in November through the end of January, maybe even into February with Goose season.

Preferrably I would do more rifle shooting to keep my shooting skills up and some shotgun clay shooting, but it is both time consuming and expensive! I have to drive 50 miles to get to a rifle range. Then it costs me $15 to shoot. All told, a trip to the rifle range consumes 3 hours and costs around $35 (say $20 for a box of cartridges). I used to go shoot some skeet at a place that was about 10 miles away, but they have now closed. The only other place I know about is 25 miles away. I could go, but I just am not motivated enough to drive that friggin' far to shoot clay targets. I live in a suburb north of Dallas, Texas. There used to be a rifle range in my home town, about 7 miles from home, but the city didn't like a rifle range close to the city (the city grew out towards the rifle range) and seems to have coerced the land owner who leased the land to the rifle range to not renew the lease. Probably a story that has happened many times in many suburban areas.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Not often enough!!! I did vote every couple of months. However, I do tend shoot more late summer and through the fall. I plan on doing a lot more shooting right now because I have two new rifles to break in and sight in. I also want to try some different loads in my muzzleloader this season, andI promised to shoot more clays this year with the shotgun.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right know about every other month...would like to more but supplies are hard to come by sometimes and I want to make sure I have plent around the house...even though I can go a few years with out buying anything. as the season gets closer I will go out at least twice a month.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sure most people are shooting less with ammo cost. Heck i am out of full metal jacket and my hollow points ant going in a dirt hill. I will be shooting my shotgun alot soon.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

From June>October I try to shoot about 500rds. a week from my 22LR (all field positions) just to maintain BRASS without burning up my centerfires or my wallet. I check my zero's right before deer opens unless it cools off enough to go bear hunting before then.

I do on occasion go out and do some long range shooting in the summer to keep those hard earned skills dialed.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Spike

I shoot around a thousand of rounds a year from my big bores (300's)...except for this year with the primer and brass shortages STOP HORDING THE PRIMERS IF YOU DON"T SHOOT!!!! I'll also shoot my bow once a week, with my neighbor, for a few hours at a time.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep my hand in with the rimfire's most of the year but I slack off a lot in late spring and summer because of all the bugs and heat.With the centerfires it depends on what i need to do as far as developing loads and staying familiar with the triggers to maintain my accuracy with them.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

bow 4-5 times a week, rifles once a week, shotguns and pistols once a month.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Not as much as I used to(atleast one a month and shoot the bow every day). Side note, does anyone else find it even the slightest bit odd that first liberty wants to what is in our arsenals and now liberty wants to know how often we shoot? Maybe I'm being paranoid.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few times a year. There aren't any gun ranges close to where I live, so I shoot when I go to the leases on the family farm that is adjacent to them.

Quick Reply: How often do you actually shoot your gun(s)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.